PDA

View Full Version : Dunlop tyres on A4

sausagedog
04-06-2008, 01:15 PM
Has anyone had a problem with Dunlop tyres on A4's....
Both rear dunlops on my A4 Avant ended up feathered and it made the car sound like the wheel bearing had gone.
I had the cars tracking looked at and nothing was wrong, the Audi mechanic said they have had alot of broblems with those tyres.

B6Andy101
14-06-2008, 07:52 PM
I am afraid for you that this is a common problem. Usually starts after about 10k miles on the rears, the bigger the tyre the quicker it appears. My 2004 B6 Avant has had four sets of Dunlop Sport Max / Dunlop SP's 235x45x17's since I have had it and the same problem every time (company policy to buy Dunlops). I have now managed to get a set of Pirelli P Zero Rossos after 119,000 miles of moaning and this appears to have cured the problem for now. I was convinced it was a wheel bearing and had them inspected the first two times but havng spoken to other B6 owners it seems to be common. The bummer is you have to drive another 10,000 miles listening to a dull rumble or shell out for new rubber while there is still tread left.

Let me know if changing them cures it.

Anyone else got this with other brands or is it parculiar to the Dunlops?

Turkster
16-06-2008, 02:03 AM
I use Mich's Primacy HP Tyres, I was advised on them by the last owner of my car, he had it from new, he was told by the Audi Dealer to keep the same tyres as audi road test the cars with them, Dunlop Tyres seem to have an issue when they get over 225 size, iv seen this issue on a BMW i used to own,

B6Andy101
16-06-2008, 07:18 PM
I use Mich's Primacy HP Tyres, I was advised on them by the last owner of my car, he had it from new, he was told by the Audi Dealer to keep the same tyres as audi road test the cars with them, Dunlop Tyres seem to have an issue when they get over 225 size, iv seen this issue on a BMW i used to own,

Mine was supplied with Dunlops !!

sausagedog
17-06-2008, 12:24 PM
Changed the rear tyres to Continental's, no more noise.

B6Andy101
17-06-2008, 08:44 PM
Changed the rear tyres to Continental's, no more noise.

Job done ! The Conte's are a bit softer than the Dunlops or Michelins, fantastic grip but not quite as hard wearing.

Enjoy your new found silence :D

Turkster
17-06-2008, 10:53 PM
Mine was supplied with Dunlops !!

different dealers may not be singing from the same song sheet,

solskjaer99
23-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Job done ! The Conte's are a bit softer than the Dunlops or Michelins, fantastic grip but not quite as hard wearing.

Enjoy your new found silence :D

just changed from conti's to Toyo TR1S and they are slightly quieter i find. grip is better, only thing is that they are a bit softer, and you obvioulsy get a bit more tyre roll. £90 each fitted by my local VAG independant ;)

Young Kenny
28-07-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi Guys

just found this thread.....

I own a 2006 (B7) A4 Avant 2.7Tdi. There's a mix of tyres on mine (as bought used from main Audi dealer. I've got Avons on the front and Dunlops on the rear. The car has only done 15K, and the fronts will need changing in the next month. I'm pleased it wasn't just me that's noticed the rumbling noises, esp at low speeds <40mph.

As it's my car and I can use whatever brand I like, I'm planning to replace the fronts with new Eagle F1 asymmetric and live with the Dunlops on the rear for a while. Unless the handling of the car with mixed tyres feels wrong or dangerous.

Any good or bad experiences with the Eagle F1's?

Young Kenny
25-09-2008, 12:03 PM
Latest update. I've done 5K miles since I've had the new Eagle F1 Assymetrics on and no more noises. The Dunlops were noisy and really did sound like a wheel bearing had gone. When the rears were taken off by the garage, they reported that they had gone "out of round". The tread had worn more in places then others - like driving round with giant 50p pieces as tyres. :zx11:

If you're wondering about which new tyres to stick on, give the F1's a go. I got them for £105 all in and they perform really well.

Spudrig
25-09-2008, 08:53 PM
My B6 Passat came with 215/55/16 Dunlop SP Sport 01's as standard and they have that noise like a wheel bearing has gone. But its also the same with my Falken FK452 on 225/40/18, but I think the Passat rear suspension set up is to blame!