PDA

View Full Version : 8 speakers on the RCD 300?

Spike001
04-06-2008, 12:05 AM
:1zhelp:

I have just bought an ex-demonstrator late '07 Passat 2.0 tDI at trim level S with a few nice extras. Unfortunately one of them is not the audio which is a 4 speaker set-up to an RCD 300 base unit.

The 4 speakers are all up front and the sound, although acceptable for speech, is not so great with music and rear passengers don't get to hear much either.

So does anyone know if the rear doors are pre-wired for speakers? The grilles are there for 4 more speakers (as fitted in the SE trim) and I am kinda hoping that VW don't bother to make a cheap loom for the S that misses out the cables for the rear speakers.

If they are wired then I could get speakers fitted, or do it myself, though it would be a shame to bend the door trim getting them off...

Thanks

maceire
30-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I have the very same problem with a Mk 5 Golf. Get the RCD 300 head unit with 4 speakers in front though I need rear one to. Did you find out if the car would be wired from them

idivuoma
14-08-2008, 05:05 PM
Don't know if they're wired, but if you buy speakers to the Golf V you should be aware of something.

Not all speakers fit the front doors in a golf because the mounting depht. The Golf has 10 speakers mounts in the doors, including the tweeter.
6,5" woofer, 4" mid-range and a tweeter for the front doors, and 6,5" woofer and tweeter for the rear doors.
It's best to buy speaker-kits for the front doors and the back doors, so that you don't go and buy 10 speakers from each brand. Because that will reduce the quality.

What I can recommend for the Golf V is this:
the rear doors fits every 2-way speakerkit, and you could buy for example Hertz DSK 165 for the rear doors.
The front door only fits speakers with slim-fit, and that would be speakers such as Focal 165 V3/VR3 (expensive) or a set of Hertz ESK 163 (cheaper).

Spike001
18-08-2008, 08:25 PM
I'm told by a local ICE bloke that the Passat has loads of space in the doors. Recently put the car in for a service and asked them to check the rear doors, Nothing, nada, zip, no wiring or (of course) speakers. So I might as well bite the bullet and get rear speakers fitted and upgrade the front set while we are at it.

I like the look of the Pioneer head end, but it won't fit in the very civilised instrument pod and centre cluster. Say what you will about the RCD units they do blend in...

theshug
18-12-2008, 11:21 PM
Hi everyone. I just bought the passat B6 with the cheap stereo. Can anyone tell me if adding the rear speakers will activate the FADER function on the head unit. This function is missing on my unit.

jamesabell1978
30-01-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi

Yes it will, I have just done the job on my B6 pain to do but worth it.

richard@thebrae
30-01-2009, 10:59 PM
You said you would like to fit a pioneer head unit but it would not fit ?
See here :- http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8115.html,
and their is lots on Ebay search MFD" and they will come up. Regards Richard

zoomee
06-02-2009, 09:57 PM
Just got myself a cheap B6 passat too mate - woooot!!! no speakers in the back doors reminds me of my dad's old nissan sunny!! - everything these days has speakers in the back - except this S spec passat :aargh4:

Can't believe we have to manually wire in the back speakers :zx11: its like stepping back into the dark ages. IF someone could point out what size speakers will fit or recommend a pair that would be great.

I've just finished installed a Pioneer P-80BT double din unit - what a pain. No space to move behind the stereo. Luckily its got all the goodies built in - i.e. Bluetooth and USB so no need for extra's.

Just to finish this essay of a response - bit of advice for you guys - don't use the cheapo CANBUS wiring kits available for about £20 unless you fancy having to turn your stereo off and on when you get in and out of the car (There is no accessorie connection i.e. ignition) - thanks to the CANBUS system on the B6.

I've just ordered the connects2 CANBUS converter for £40 which gives you accessorie and illumination controls quite easily (CTSVW002) - hope this helps.

jamesabell1978
08-02-2009, 12:21 AM
I used the cheaper CANBUS connector as I could only find the adapter with the built in Processer for £60 at the time. The ignition and illumination feed was gained from the cig lighter socket which was quite accessible from the driver footwell. Running the speaker cables from the rear doors was a pain. I fitted a set of Alpine 2 way components in the door. They were Apline SPS-171A which fitted the doors without any modifications.

zoomee
08-02-2009, 12:38 AM
nice speakers mate and thanks for the advice ;)

Them particular models are a bit pricey for me (taking into account I hardly ever listen to music - more audio talks) so quality's not really an issue.

Gives us a gist of what size speakers we should be looking for - thanks again ;)