PDA

View Full Version : the main dealer paradox

A4Ade
03-06-2008, 12:20 PM
Just thought I'd share my recent good and bad experience of Leicester Audi.

The first was bad: shortly after buying my Audi (A4(B6) 1.8 T Sport) I needed to replace the locking wheel nuts. I went to the main dealer first, and was told that they only sell them individually, they'd therefore have a different key for each nut, and they were ~£20 each! Needless to say I was not impressed, and ended up getting a set of McGard's for around £20 for the set. I have become even more unimpressed upon seeing this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BRAND-NEW-GENUINE-AUDI-LOCKING-WHEEL-NUT-SET_W0QQitemZ110256030226QQihZ001QQcategoryZ10372Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem) (Brand New Genuine Audi Locking Wheel Nut Set for sale by Stafford Audi on Ebay for £14.99!) Why could Leicester Audi have not offered these?

Having a bad experience then makes it seem even more surprising when you then have a good one: I recently bought some new floor mats off of Ebay which claimed to have the locater clips for the Audi fittings. On arrival it turned out that only the front mats had the clips. I asked the seller, and he offered to send me some more clips, but they never turned up and he stopped responding to my emails. I tried VagParts, who said that only the main dealer was likely to have them. Obviously I was wary of going to the main dealer after my wheel nut experience, but figured I might as well try them - and I'm glad I did: 4 new clips, 4 new casings, including VAT - £1.60! For the lot!

So, maybe it's worth trying main dealers - it just seems you have to catch them on a good day...

Issac Hunt
03-06-2008, 12:46 PM
I think a lot depends on the guy you speak to. Some are interested in cars and therefore interested in helping you, to others its just a job and they couldnt care less wether you get the parts you need or not.

redux70
14-06-2008, 03:20 PM
Hi,

New forum member, but my experience for what its worth from the last 20 years, maintaining my car myself where possible, is Generally good with Audi main dealer parts departments.

Currently dealing with York Audi (ask for Damien - very helpful)

Compared with other brands I have always been impressed with the range of obscure parts that are still avaialble if you can wait a few days for them to come from Germany.

I always find a bit of common sense applies, like group things together and buy as much as you can afford or as is sensible for future service requirements - I've always found the more I spend the more discount off list price they are able to offer - quite often managing to cancel out the VAT.

Obviously there is a time and a place for main dealers - would have to also put a good word in what was German & Swedish (now French too!).

Hope this is useful

Andy

k9max
23-06-2008, 06:37 PM
For all the negative things usually associated with main dealers (mainly the overinflated prices they charge), it does come as a surprise when certain things are cheaper than expected. Recently, my local Audi dealer was selling a handful of used cars at very good prices: a couple of A4 tdi Avants (admittedly on 02 & 03 plates) £8,995; a Y plated TT for £9,995; and in the bargain basement, a 51 A4 tdi with 78k for a mere £5,995 - in fact all were well under 100k, and as you would expect, looked in near new condition.
When I was looking for my Audi I automatically dismissed going to the main dealer, thinking they would not have anything under £15k, but this goes to show it's not always the case.