PDA

View Full Version : Polo emission warning light

davidpboden
01-04-2005, 09:05 AM
My wife has a 01Y 1.4 75bhp Polo and the emissions warning light has come on permanently. It came on intermittently before it was serviced and MOT'd last month but there were no error codes and the it passed the MOT emissions test. It seems to run fine so I am thinking a faulty lambda sensor but I have heard rumours of a software upgrade on the ECU. Can anyone advise. Thanks.

stuart
01-04-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi

I would agree that it sound like the lambda probe. I do know that manufacturers do software upgrades, but I would not think this would cause this to go all of a sudden.

I would advise you get the car looked at as soon as you can, if it is the probe, and it is left for any lengh of time you can cause damage to the catalyst, which will be expensive:(

Probles can range from around £30.00 for a "universal" type, which will mean cutting off the old plug, and reconnecting it to the ne probe, upto £80.00 for a proper "factory fit" type.

You could try GSF, Euro Car Parts, or a Bosch agent in your area for the probe.

Thanks

Stuart

stuart
01-04-2005, 12:48 PM
Hi

I know you replied to this message, was this via email? or by posting a reply here? as I have lost it :(

If you could email me the engine number, or registration, I can check in the catalogues we have to see were the probe is located, and let you know.

As for reversal of damage, not sure to be honest, I would imagine it depends how long there has been the fault, I know you can get additives such as Cataclean, or Cataclear to name two, which you add to the fuel system, and these are "supposed" to clean any particals away from the catalyst. As for there sucess I am unsure.

Stuart

waheed
26-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi,

I have a VW polo, and this morning the exhaust emission light switched on, on the dash board. The car was also chugging/vibrating.

Has anyone experienced this before, does anyone know what the problem is and much much it is likely to cost?

Thanks

Trescott
30-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Hiya,
I've had so many problems with my Polo since i bought it!!! I'va had enough and want to cry everytime i think about it!!!!
My engine management light comes on more times than the interior light!!!
I first had the problem Waheed has reported when the car was 2 months old. I've had 6 new ignition coils and 3 new lambda probes and it now needs another new one!!! I've also had the ECU replaced!!! Can't afford to keep upto the repairs so does anybody want to buy a Polo???!!!!
Has anyone had similar problems?

LJ4
26-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I have a 53 reg Polo, on Saturday night what I thought was the oil light came on and the car started shuddering. I checked the oil and the level was OK - on Sunday morning I went and bought some oil and topped it up - the car is still shuddering! A friend moved my car by chance off of the road on to the drive and has said its the Emissions light - does this make sense - I am waiting for a mobile mechanic to come and look at it this week. I feel stupid now as I honestly thought it was the oil light!! Can anyone help?
I have spoken to numerous garages and they have said my engine could be partially siezed!
:confused:

Crasher
26-11-2007, 02:39 PM
I have spoken to numerous garages and they have said my engine could be partially siezed!

Either these people also think it is the oil light as well or they don’t know what they are talking about, either way avoid them. The emissions warning light comes on if the emissions from the exhaust exceed those required by European law. A fault code read will probably show a simple coil pack failure which is very common and nothing to fret about.

LJ4
26-11-2007, 03:07 PM
<P>
Either these people also think it is the oil light as well or they don’t know what they are talking about, either way avoid them. The emissions warning light comes on if the emissions from the exhaust exceed those required by European law. A fault code read will probably show a simple coil pack failure which is very common and nothing to fret about.</P>
<P>&nbsp;</P>

LJ4
26-11-2007, 03:09 PM
Thank you - My car is reg 53 so shouldn't be anything too serious and am hoping that it is the emissions rather than the oil - i know nothing about cars - hence why I thought/think it is the oil light.... :Blush:

Crasher
26-11-2007, 05:01 PM
shouldn't be anything too serious

Not necessarily, if it is a 1.4 with high mileage these can burn out valves and the 1.2 3 cyl engines suffer from timing chain problems and from burnt out valvees.

LJ4
26-11-2007, 05:04 PM
The car is 53 reg is hardly driven and has 20,000 miles on the clock.

The people I spoke to were 'mobile mechanics' perhaps I confused them by saying it was definitely the oil light when in actual fact it is the 'EMissions light'.

Thank you

Trescott
29-11-2007, 10:22 AM
The car is 53 reg is hardly driven and has 20,000 miles on the clock.

The people I spoke to were 'mobile mechanics' perhaps I confused them by saying it was definitely the oil light when in actual fact it is the 'EMissions light'.

Thank you

Hi
You'll never guess what??!! I had three lamda probes replaced in May after having a coil pack replaced in January. Haven't had anything go wrong since, but then get an e mail from the forum and then the engine manangement light comes on in my car on the way home! How spooky is that???

Sad again, yet more money to pay out before christmas!!!

freakyshadows
26-01-2008, 10:13 PM
Recently bought a polo 02 1.2 S, emissions warning light came on. After reading up on it, a few recommended an 'italien tune-up' ie getting the engine warmed up and then making it work pretty hard, taking revs almost to red line and getting everything pretty hot over a fairly long journey. Mine came on after a weekend of a few short trips, so decided to take it on a longer run (15/20 miles), down some A roads.

Since then everything seems to be running smooth and the light went out the next time i started up!! :Blush:

(happened a few months after, after another weekend of short journeys, remedy (above) worked again, light went out whilst on a long drive)

Obviously if this doesnt sort it i'd recommend taking it to the dealer because it probaly needs a new probe.

Hope this helps.

If your unlucky enough for the light to start blinking, take to dealer asap.