PDA

View Full Version : engine cut out whilst driving please help!

kangtdi
02-06-2008, 03:34 PM
Hi all,

Dont think i ever experience so many problems with a car in such a short space of time.

Was on my to getting my high pressure sensor for the air conditioning changed when suddendly my car broke down. The engine cut out and would not start at all.

It just keeps on turning constantly but wont fire up.

luckily i was going down hill and got it started and moving but soon as i got on level ground and stopped the engine cut out again and wont fire up.

Has anyone experienced this before. The vehicle is a audi a4 130bhp tdi 1.9 2002 model. It has recently had a cambelt change.

Whilst parked on the road it kept on flashing its rear brake lights which is rather strange.

I have recently had water in the drivers footwell if that has anything to do with water getting into the ecu. Please help before i loose my brains out on this car!!

Kind Regards to all.

bez101
02-06-2008, 06:01 PM
i know this aint anything to do with your post but them tdi,s have loads ov probs glad i stay with petrols every day theres problems with all your tdi's
didnt meen to hijack your post

kangtdi
02-06-2008, 06:24 PM
Hi everyone,

latest!

Vag com shows up no errors. Car will keep firing but eventually will start by revving it and it will rev but as soon as you let go of the accelerator the engine shut off again.

looked into the ecu box and found a lot of water sitting there. Have rescued the ecu which looks fine but there is a total of three relays. Two which seem really bad.

219 part number 443951253aa i think this is the fuel pump relay.
395 part number 8zo 951 253 not sure what this is but has lots of water in these relays.

Do you guys think this is the problem and could this be anything to do with the coolant fans constantly running and draining the battery out.

does anyone know if the coolant fans have a relay.

Kind Regards & thanking you in advance for all your help.

kurtas2006
02-06-2008, 07:48 PM
i know this aint anything to do with your post but them tdi,s have loads ov probs glad i stay with petrols every day theres problems with all your tdi's
didnt meen to hijack your post

:Blush: Possibly more people on the forum own the tdi models so naturally you going to get some bias in what problems come up on the forum etc and the models they relate to.

elPaulio
02-06-2008, 08:22 PM
From what I can see the relays in there are as follows:

1.2: Fuel Pump Relay
2: Terminal 30 Voltage Supply Relay (BKE Engine) or Relay for glow plugs
3: Automatic glow perod control unit (BKE Engine) or Terminal 30 Voltage supply relay
4: Is for multitronics and auto boxes which i assume you dont have
These are numbered from left to right with the 1.2 being the smaller relay.

The fuses are:
A: Engine Control Unit/ electronics
B: Glow plugs
C: Engine control unit fuse (BKE Engine)

Again from left to right.

Hope that helps

Paul :biglaugh:

kangtdi
02-06-2008, 10:13 PM
other than the main dealers, is there anywhere else i can go to to get hold of a fuel pump relay. Main dealers do not have one at the moment and wont for a while. any ideas.

kind regards

bez101
02-06-2008, 10:56 PM
i use euro car parts
or GSF

kangtdi
03-06-2008, 01:36 PM
thanks for everyone's help on this so far.

I purchased a set of new relays as the others were soaked and after attempting to start the car and a bit of firing it started. so far so good. Now going to sort the water problems out. Regards

sinfinity
19-08-2008, 08:19 AM
Hi all,
Was on my to getting my high pressure sensor for the air conditioning changed rather strange. ....

Think I need to replace the high pressure sensor on my golf, just out of interest how much did this cost? How did you know the sensor had failed.

Thanks

Marco34
19-08-2008, 09:08 AM
:Blush: Possibly more people on the forum own the tdi models so naturally you going to get some bias in what problems come up on the forum etc and the models they relate to.
I agree with Kurtas. Perols aren't as popular these days. I've had both and they have been fine.. the diesel has been flawless....

Marco34
19-08-2008, 09:12 AM
thanks for everyone's help on this so far.

I purchased a set of new relays as the others were soaked and after attempting to start the car and a bit of firing it started. so far so good. Now going to sort the water problems out. Regards

THis has happened many times to people. What is the problem? poor fitting cover, corrosion? Please let us know what you find as it could be worth having it in the "how-to" giude if there is something that can be checked before water gets in.

rollin_a4
27-08-2008, 05:40 PM
Hi, i had the exact same problem on my 2002 audi a4 tdi quattro. The problem was a cracked ecu cover & the water got into the relays and the drivers footwell. Bought new relays and ecu cover from a breakers yard and is now 100%. Luckily the ecu uni survived the water.