PDA

View Full Version : mk3 tdi no boost

robert1z
04-01-2007, 09:39 PM
Hi All,:Blush:

New to forum and guess what I have a problem!!

I have an ageing vw golf tdi mk3 1995. I love it dearly and she now has 170,000 miles on her. I have spent very littte on the cat, doing all servicing work myself.

There is a problem with the boost circuit. There is no boost at all. For a time it was intermittant, disconnecting and reconnecting battery would solve this. The boost from the turbo is audible and sounds ok. I checked the boost circuit for leaks and fixed one. Still a problem though.
I had it on a diagnostic machine and it claimed a probelm with the throttle position sensor. A new one is £300!! The car is barely worth this.

When starting the car there is a relay in the driver side area which clicks and looks like part of boost circuit (red and blue pipes attached).

Can any one think of simple test to double check or shall I just cough up and get one or get one second hand if possible??

Any ideas where to try?

Any help greatly appreciated:confused:

onzarob
04-01-2007, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the site.

Couldn't you get one from a scrap yard? I personally have no knowledge on the mk3 TDI or is it a TD no I. but the later car hace a MAF hich caused this problem.

Your car will still have an EGR system and this could be stuck open from dirt causing similar problems.

Hope this help a little

Rob:D

robert1z
05-01-2007, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the reply Rob:D

I will try and source one from a scrap yard although there are not that many of my vehicle engine about (1z)

I thought there was an Air flow meter? I was going to unplug it and see if this made a difference? I know mine is one of the earliest tdi engines to be produced though, so maybe it works a little differerent.

Does anyone think it is worth trying air components as well/instead as throttle poision sensor?!

vagjunkie
12-03-2007, 10:07 PM
the throttle position sensor does give problems on thes cars. I'm now on my third mk3 tdi type 1z I've replaced this part on two of them. I bought vag-com because of them. This program is brilliant allowing you to get live telemetry showing boost, throttle position, engine temp, injection timing to name just a few. get the advanced version for about £260.00 and you get free updates I've saved a packet bearing in mind it costs £40.00 each time to scan for faults nevermind the live telemetry. This program will diagnose any vag group car petrol or diesel from abbout 95/96 right up.