PDA

View Full Version : engine hesitating on acceleration

hongkongstuey
01-06-2008, 09:00 PM
im noticing a slight hesitation on acceleration, the turbo kicks in but then kind of tails off a bit but still boosting as if it goes 100%-80%-90%-80%-100%, all at about 2-3k? not jerky but i can tell something isnt right?

the garage guy that did my cambelt did say it seemed down on power, but didnt have an equipment to diagnose the fault, he said it might be the maf? mass air something, how expensive are they? and do you reckon it is the problem, if anyone knows its gonna be you guys right? :beerchug:

thanks for any help

jimgironde
01-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Can you define what you mean by hesitation as you say no jerkiness?

Are you saying that performance is not as good as it was or is there a definite momentarily loss of power?

hongkongstuey
01-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Can you define what you mean by hesitation as you say no jerkiness?

Are you saying that performance is not as good as it was or is there a definite momentarily loss of power?

having not owned a vw tdi i was unsure about wether it was just an initial overboost that flats off, but when the vw guy said it wasnt as it should be i thought i'd ask here, it just boosts then flats off then boosts again as if its not sure what boost it should be producing and guessing as if something isnt giving it the right signals, without strapping my girlfriends son under the bonnet while driving to check for cracked pipes etc im in the dark a little?

sorry to be a bit vague :(

hongkongstuey
02-06-2008, 04:24 PM
just read on the tdiclub website that the vw's tend to get a build up of crap in the intake pipes (reducing performance), especially the intake manifold, has anyone on here cleaned theirs? or is it a dealer thing round these parts? only asking because i hate stuff like that clogging up pipes etc from when i had my 306 td and was forever cleaning pipes out full of crap. just thought i'd ask, off home now, catch you guys later

mluton
02-06-2008, 07:17 PM
I would clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and get a new MAF. Loads of them on ebay.

hongkongstuey
02-06-2008, 08:19 PM
I would clean the throttle body with carb cleaner and get a new MAF. Loads of them on ebay.

cheers for that, regarding your avatar pic, mine will have done 66666 tommorow :beerchug:

mluton
02-06-2008, 08:30 PM
cheers for that, regarding your avatar pic, mine will have done 66666 tommorow :beerchug:

The devils code, drive safe.:p

hongkongstuey
03-06-2008, 01:15 PM

which maf for my car? 110hp 1999 saloon tdi

i got the chassis number from the car at dinner and as i didnt have my keys with me i thought i'd ask here before looking under the bonnet at a part which is probably got the part number obscured etc etc

chassis number: wvwzzz3bzxp266633

euro car parts have a load but all say things like 3bx engine? as mine has a 'z' i thought i'd ask on here first before ordering one, i tend to not buy off ebay even if they are a bit cheaper, because of some stories ive read about quality etc.

feel free to correct me, but more importantly, feel free to answer my query? :beerchug:

stonedagain
03-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Before parting with any hard earned cash, try disconnecting the vac pipe from the egr valve & blank the pipe off with a small bolt. Cured my flat spots/hesitation & cost nowt!:D

hongkongstuey
03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Before parting with any hard earned cash, try disconnecting the vac pipe from the egr valve & blank the pipe off with a small bolt. Cured my flat spots/hesitation & cost nowt!:D

as a check that might help but im sure the egr is meant to be used, i may try and have a look later, cheers for helping out. im gonna see if the egr valve could do with a clean too as i hear these get crapped up quite easily

hongkongstuey
03-06-2008, 08:04 PM
i just found this, i presume its pretty much the same on the passat except access will be easier than golf :beerchug:

http://pics2.tdiclub.com/gwillie/VW/Sballintake/INTAKEMAN101b.htm

stonedagain
04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
as a check that might help but im sure the egr is meant to be used, i may try and have a look later, cheers for helping out. im gonna see if the egr valve could do with a clean too as i hear these get crapped up quite easily
The EGR valve is there to recirculate a small quantity of exhaust gas into the combustion chamber at certain engine rpm/throttle opening. This recirculated gas results in less oxygen being burned during combustion, which lowers the combustion temperature, causing a reduction of nitrogen oxide emissions. This is to comply with emissions regulations for a new vehicle leaving the factory. The emissions test for MOT testing does not measure this gas, nor does any roadside emissions testing kit. The equipment used by motor manufacturers to measure gases such as this costs millions! I disconnected my EGR valve last year, throttle response much better, no probs at MOT time.:D

hongkongstuey
04-06-2008, 04:18 PM
The EGR valve is there to recirculate a small quantity of exhaust gas into the combustion chamber at certain engine rpm/throttle opening. This recirculated gas results in less oxygen being burned during combustion, which lowers the combustion temperature, causing a reduction of nitrogen oxide emissions. This is to comply with emissions regulations for a new vehicle leaving the factory. The emissions test for MOT testing does not measure this gas, nor does any roadside emissions testing kit. The equipment used by motor manufacturers to measure gases such as this costs millions! I disconnected my EGR valve last year, throttle response much better, no probs at MOT time.:D

i'll have a looksi when i get home then :beerchug: cheers mate :biglaugh: