PDA

View Full Version : Passat woes.. white smoke but still runs well

jockmonkey
31-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Hi everyone,

I have searched various forum threads but still can't put my finger on an exact problem with my car.

Its a 51/2001 130 PD (AWX) Engine code, done 130K miles, and has been running great. Bought with 100K on it,ex company car someone else had (had belts done:Blush:) and has a FSH to date.

Last few days, has started to give out a trail of white smoke. On start up no big clouds, if idles for a minute or so gets worse. Seems worse through town, but wonder if that is because I am going slower, and hence smoke clouds take a bit longer to fade away (or i take longer to leave the scene!)

Slight oily burning smell, no big soot deposits. Car seems to be running fine apart from that (no major power losses:biglaugh:) and hence although I fear my wallet will get a bashing, hopefully it isn't terminal, as the car is still great (and had lots of money and TLC on it recently). No big noises or rattles either. No muck apparent in collant or round oil cap

Oil consumption doesn't seem too high (e.g. hasn't really increased) and still getting reasonable 40+ mpg

So based upon what I have read here is it..

Turbo or seals on turbo?
Head Gasket gone?
Pipe, EGR or other associated things?

So any thoughts or comments would be appreciated, as I am slightly petrified as to what it is. Have to get it fixed soon as it is now embarrasing in traffic, and old bill will eventually ream me if they stop me!

Crasher
31-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Any coolant loss?

jockmonkey
31-05-2008, 11:48 AM
It's not absolutely full, e.g. up to the max mark, but still about 2/3 way up the header tank.

Wondered if that small amount was enough to signify Head gasket more than a turbo.

Only done about 50-60 miles with this problem..

jm

Crasher
31-05-2008, 11:49 AM
Burning G12 has an unusual sickly sweet smell. Unfortunately it usually means a new head.

jockmonkey
31-05-2008, 11:54 AM
Smell is certainly more of a burnt oil kind of smell, nothing I would call sickly..or sweet

I would hate to think I needed a new head (not me the car!) can't imagine that is much change out of a grand!

Crasher
31-05-2008, 12:06 PM
A bare head is £950 inc. VAT plus labour and parts to remove, strip, clean, rebuild and refit so around £1300 worth of parts plus two days labour. A fully built exchange head ready to fit with cam, lifters, injectors (£2K worth alone), rockers etc etc is about £2420 inc. VAT.

jockmonkey
31-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Oh boll#cks!

Fingers crossed once it goes in (have a mechanic looking at it Tuesday) I will know the extent of the full damage, hopefully a new head could be avoided..

I will see

Thanks

Crasher
31-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Remind him that these heads must not be re-surfaced.

jockmonkey
31-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Will do that.

Is there a reason why they can't be resurfaced?

Cheers

Jamie

Crasher
31-05-2008, 09:49 PM
They don’t give a reason, the quote is simply “Reworking diesel cylinder heads is not permissible.” Part of it will be that the valves will move closer to the pistons unless the seats are machined back by the same amount.

Ross 1.8T
31-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Not being overly familiar with the TDi PD engines, this may be a stab in the dark. Does the power steering system route fluid through the intake manifold at any stage? Many engines are designed in this way so that steering feel is retained at engine idle. My previous Lexus LS400 had a common fault whereby power steering fluid was leaking in small amounts into the intake manifold. This can cause white smoke and the smell that you are describing. If this is the case, blocking off the offending idle air control valve or fitting a new seal may be all that is required.

I may be well wide of the mark here but I thought it might be worth a shot.

Eddie
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
In my scout book white smoke = water vapour in the combustion chamber m8

Eddie
02-06-2008, 10:48 PM
On the subject of resurfacing the head crasher is 100% spot on ive researched this myself just can't understand why nobody has'nt come up with the idea of a thicker head gasket to compensate the resurfacing work it can't be more than 20 thou difference

Crasher
02-06-2008, 11:08 PM
If the car has a one hole (1.55-mm) head gasket you could use a two hole (1.63-mm) or if it has a two hole, a three hole (1.71-mm) but I think there is more to it than that otherwise it would be suggested.

jockmonkey
03-06-2008, 07:21 AM
Buying a low mileage (40K) head for £150 today as a back up incase the one on the car is goosed..

Don't understand why they limit the skimming, as there are plenty of companies locally selling re-con heads for around £400

Hence they have to start with and old head surely??

Fingers crossed the bill will be about £400. Which I think isn't bad for a head gasket failure repair bill.

Will let you know how I get on

Crasher
03-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Recon companies will be skimming the head when VAG say you can’t and I imagine that most of the time they get away with it, I just won’t take chances.

Eddie
03-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Just wondering if its because of the routing of the oil and water galleries as to why you can't skim em

Crasher
04-06-2008, 10:58 AM
I think it is to do with compression heights and valve protrusion.