PDA

View Full Version : Question A4 B6 Cab. Bootlid trim removal & hood tray repair

Blue Man Group
30-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Hi All,

First post - newb with a 2004 A4 Cabrio. 1.8T S-Line in Mauritius Blue with grey cloth. Only a couple of problems, but suspect they may be expensive to get the ******* to sort.

Firstly, the radio doesn't receive anything but static-fm - I understand that often the problem is that the coax cable breaks down with the opening/closing of the bootlid. Can someone tell me a) how to remove the trim from the bootlid to access the aerial/coax cable and b) whether a patch is available or feasible to put in.

Secondly, I guess at some point the hood's been lowered with the tray in the raised position because it won't stay locked up now - the tray can be manually pushed up, but drops straight back down. A very brief inspection suggests that there are cables which may be broken. Again, is this something I can repair myself?

Other than that - loving the car but I need to sort out a SmartTop controller. I think it's about the only thing it's missing - well, other than a remap and leather...

sicupra
31-05-2008, 12:45 AM
where you based?
Can sort the remap side of things.
Will strugle a bit with the rest tho, sorry fella.

Spr0cket
31-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Trim removal : remove warning triangle - then the two bolts behind it which secure teh mounting plate. In the pull down handle indent, there is one screw to remove (It's flock or felt covered and belnds well so don't miss it or you're at a minimum make the securing thread useless.

Once that's done the trim is secured with fasteners that simply need som effort to pull it away. Around 6 fasteners I think, thouhg not had the trim off for some time - but maybe more so keep prying and unpopping it as you go.

Assuming it's broken at the flex area, it's likelyu within the rubber sleeve that seales between bootlid and main body - repair is possible, and recommended vs a complete cable replace as that's a lot of trim removal. Audi likley offer a repair solution, but if you are competent with soldering and some screened cable repair, then a trip to Maplins will I'm sure provide a cable that would be perfectly fine for a 6" repair inseration.

As for the tray issue - alas - a common issue and thus far, not an easy repair. I've not attempted to investigate as not been affected (crossed fingers and touching wooden desk) but repair manual suggests complete tray needs to be removed from teh rear of teh car for repairs to be conducted - well within DIY relams, but not something to tackle unless confident - consider a slip hear or there can inflict paint damage that will niggle for ever more. If you could find a breakers with a unit installed that works - might be a good project to tackle as removal will I'm sure make reassembly far easier too.

And finally - only fitted my Smarttop unit a couple of weeks back and already wondering how on earth I manged without it ... loving raising and lowering the hood whilst walking to or from the car.

Drop me a PM with email addy to reach you and I can send over a couple fo PDF's that'll make the tasks easier.

Sam
04-06-2008, 03:28 PM
where you based?
Can sort the remap side of things.
Will strugle a bit with the rest tho, sorry fella.

If you are advertising your services here, you'll do well to read the rules.

Let me furnish you with a link - http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=25680

a8 tech
04-06-2008, 03:52 PM
Coax cable replacement.
simple,cut the end off the old coax at the switch over box in the tail gate and connect the new coax to the exsiting cable with som insultion tape.
Remove the passenger side rear luggage trim.
Remove the passenger side rear inner panel(door trim)just enough to feed the coax through.
Remove the passenger side inner sill trim.
Remove the glove box and remove the radio.

Cut the coax from the radio were its easiest.
Pull the old coax through the vehicle and discard it, cable tie the new coax it to the original secure points.
You will require coax part number 000 098 696 (this is the short section of coax that plugs into your aerial output on the radio).
Also you will need about 10 foot of coax 00 098 656 a should do it.
000 098 656 a will plug into 000 098 696 and into the amp.

Replacing the roof box requires both inner luggage trims removing and a bit of jiggery pokery.