PDA

View Full Version : A6 2.6 V6 ('94) Thermostat.

karlosjackel
04-01-2007, 01:51 PM
Hello there!
I have an '94 2.6 V6 A6... and have noticed that the car NEVER gets hot, so on my investigations I 've noticed the lower pipe from the rad disappears BEHIND the timing gear on the LHS camshaft... Is this where the 'stat lives? Surely not?? So am I right in thinking that I have to take the timing belt off, Cam sproket? and the plastic guard to get to it? Did Audi lose their minds?? Anyhow, any help with this would be appreciated!

KarlosJackel

:1zhelp: :confused:

markcass
16-02-2007, 05:41 PM
Hello there!
I have an '94 2.6 V6 A6... and have noticed that the car NEVER gets hot, so on my investigations I 've noticed the lower pipe from the rad disappears BEHIND the timing gear on the LHS camshaft... Is this where the 'stat lives? Surely not?? So am I right in thinking that I have to take the timing belt off, Cam sproket? and the plastic guard to get to it? Did Audi lose their minds?? Anyhow, any help with this would be appreciated!

KarlosJackel

:1zhelp: :confused:
Hi there,

I have a audi A4 2.6 1996 with a similar problem to you on your A6. Did you find out if it is the case that the thermostat is located in the timing belt area, and ends up needing the belt changed?
If so Audi are crazy.
Please let me Know
Cheers Mark.http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon9.gif

karlosjackel
20-03-2007, 03:08 PM
Sorry Mark, I forgot to check up on the web-site.

Ok, now being a cunning engineer, I (try) not to do things that don't need doing. I found that yes, the 'stat was living behind the timing belt on the LHS of the engine. And by carefull removal of appropriate guarding, I managed to easy out the 'stat cover (long alu section) and replace stat without the timing belt ever to come off. It is easier to remove the belt, but you must lock up the engine and camshafts before doing this, I just wanted to prove it can be done. BUT, can you believe this, the stat was ok, but I replaced it as a matter of point.

But.... the HVAC unit is connected to the car's ECU (ODBII), and I sorted that out (to correct another fault) by buying a lead off of ebay (ALPHA BID / US company) downloading some free software from www.ross-tech.com (http://www.ross-tech.com) Vs. 301 as mine is a '94 old as the hill version of car.
By going into each module area, there was infact an error on the unit, after noting the error down then "RESET FAULT", bugger me if was bellowing out hot air!! AND, I reset an airbag fault as well (which was safe to do as I caused it (disconnected the airbag, taking the batt off doesn't stop the airbag unit noticing a fault, there is a spring inside the connector that alerts the module of any funny business!)).

So, it was by connecting to the cars ecu which cleared the fault! Don't you just love German engineering?

Sorry for the rant, but hope that (kinda?) helps. I was sure to find a knackered 'stat, only to find the HVAC found a fault and cut the heating off! b***ardo thing!

Karlos :aargh4: :zx11: :biglaugh: in the end!

marty72
22-03-2007, 05:38 AM
Hi there what is a HVAC unit, and why does it affect the heater?. M

karlosjackel
31-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Hi there!
The HVAC is Heating Ventillation And Control. It means the cabin temperature controller (on mine its computer controlled with a 'C setting) which takes over from the manual way of setting your cabin enviroment to hot/cold, air conditioned etc...
Now when the unit detects a fault, it'll talk to the ecu (OBD I), now in my case, it saw a fault in the ambient temperature sensor was too hot, thus shut the heater flap which allows warm air in. As it's little brain fell off the perch, and I couldn't get heat out of the thing! Once I connected my interface to the ecu, I was able to take note of the error code and reset the fault, which hasn't re-occured (YET!).

If you have the standard rotary heater/blower functions, it may be the 'stat... But in my case it was the HVAC unit. I think what didn't help either was the t**t before me let the battery go dead, which didn't help matters!

Hope that helps.... Haynes manual is next to *h*t useless!!

Karlos