PDA

View Full Version : Turbo packages for 1.8 8V Injection

Boumsong
30-05-2008, 03:46 PM
I'm looking at boosting the power a bit, rather than go for a 16v engine, I want to upgrade bits of the 8v I have got. I'm looking at small turbos and things to do with modify the injectors.

Any advice from anyone who knows what they are talking about would be great.

daimatt
02-06-2008, 10:41 PM
Buy 'four stroke performance tuning' by A. Graham Bell ( and don't worry, there is nothing about phones in there ;)) Really good book that will give you a huge insight into getting the most out of your engine. For the small outlay on the book, it will save you a lot of money on wasted and pointless mods

Robin K-S
15-06-2008, 08:47 PM
Port & polish the head, 4 branch manifold with a performance system & a fast road cam, that should get it shifting. My little old 1.8 8v carb flies (0-60 approx 7sec), I also found getting rid of the carpets, seats, door cards etc etc helped haha.
I would avoid the turbo route, a mechanic friend of mine offered me 1, but it was just too expensive for the power gains.
Hope this helps
Robin

usophunke
08-07-2008, 08:21 PM
get a audi 5cyl turbo setup off like a 5000 era, cut off one ex man end reweld ext waste gate flange and use the turbo oil lines and such parts. g60 fuel injectors and run megasquirt. the total cost should be less than 500 u.s. if you get the stuff from a junkyard. run it to 6-8 psi and no more. if you want to attempt to run more you will need to do double head gaskets to lower your compression ratio. .8 and then should be good up to about 13 -14 psi range.

option 2 would be to get a corrado or rallye g60 wiring harness and ecu, boost tubes and intercooler, get a turbo chip and use the same man turbo and wastegate. much easier imop and also should cost under 500 bones. to run over 8psi with the audi waste gate you will require a manual boost controller.

this should be good for about 150 to 180 hp depending on if you intercooler and settings. I run a very expensive 16vt setup, but would think bang for buck this would be cheaper and more fun than any other bolt on mods.

note: swapping to a later head might also help provide flow if you wanted more hp...(not needed really)

monzadave
10-07-2008, 02:36 PM
Another option is to invest in a BBM screw charger conversion. With a digi1 ECU. More boost then a G-ladder but they do have probelms.

I think they sounds rubbish compared to G-ladders, and i've heard stories about failures due to torsional stress on the charger :-S .

It is an opsion though : )

Alex25
02-08-2008, 12:19 PM
Thats the k-Jetronic system? rs turbo ecu and turbo and your away :D