PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Mk3 Gti Cold Start Problem

shearer27
30-05-2008, 02:40 PM
This seems to be quite a popular problem here on the forum, so apologies for any repetitiveness?

I own a 1997 GTI 8v (116,000 miles) and it has recently developed the annoyance of not starting straight away in the morning! It starts after about 4/5 long turns of the key and a few squirts on the thottle. I do get a slightly strong smell of petrol after it fires up but this soon fades. After a 5/10 min warm-up it drives perfectly and restarts at any time after the morning with a slight hesitation but nothing as bad as in the morning.

I have replaced the plugs and it is still doing the same thing. I am wandering if it is something to do with the fuel pump or fuel filter? I had a quick look at the distributer cap and rotor and both look warn (original parts I think) – would these need replacing?

Any response would be much appreciated.

Cheers.:confused:

shearer27
09-06-2008, 11:56 AM
Is there anyone out there or do I put up with this?

Col
09-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Unusual for nobody to not pick up and answer a thread like this.

My guess and it is a guess as you really need to read the car for faults would be;

Coolant temp sensor.

shearer27
09-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Cheers BigCol. I've booked it in with my mechanic so I'll let you know, and anyone else who is interested, how the car gets on.

shearer27
19-06-2008, 04:04 PM
Well, if anyone is interested, I got the car back from the garage yesterday and it is perfect now. The coolant temp sensor was replaced along with relay 30!!!!! and it had a slight fuel leak which could have resulted in faulty vacuum letting in air into the system? I will update details once I get the invoice!

Also, I put in a bottle of Slick 50 Fuel System Treatment the other day and this morning it averaged 47.5mpg at an average speed of 40mph over 16miles (I've been doing this journey to work for 8 years and this is the best ever mpg I have had so if you've got a spare few quid and your mpg is low then you might want to try this? It's about £7/8 quid on ebay and at today's fuel prices it might save you a few quid in the long run!!

jstguk
16-07-2008, 11:44 AM
i am having an identicle problem to what you just described, but im having to sell my car due to a bust arm :( so i want to get the car fixed but dont want it to cost my other arm and a leg.

but just wondering how much it cost you to get this problem sorted??

many thanks, justin

shearer27
16-07-2008, 11:48 AM
Hi Justin

It cost me the grand sum of £66 (parts and labour). Get well soon – to both you and the car!

Cheers, Cy.

jstguk
17-07-2008, 02:50 PM
got the parts from another golf and fit them myself and the cars working fine now!

thanks alot for the help, much aoppreciated :)

justin