PDA

View Full Version : A4 digital odometer not working

shaba
04-01-2007, 12:30 PM
I have just purchased an audi A4 1998 se model. It has a digital clock on it and I have just realised that it does not change? The speedo and everything else worked fine?

Has anyone got any ideas what ould cause this?

RickT
04-01-2007, 05:07 PM
is it just the trip or the milage also??

if its just the trip then it shows its not the cable... however... if its the mileage... i guess that could be a good thing... however the fact is how long has it been like that before?????

RicKT

shaba
04-01-2007, 05:48 PM
hi i just got the car so not sure how long its been like that. I think the guy i got it from was a bit dodgy cause looking at the MOT it looks like its bee tampered with.. I think it was around the 100k mark and has been pushed down to 84k..

its just the miles the trip one works fine?

RickT
04-01-2007, 06:07 PM
if its been altered of attempted to of been the firmaware will just freeze the milage. so they may have managed to change it from say 120K to 84K but then it wont change as it will have figure a fault.. - also if the the cluster has been tampered with it wont be repairable i dont think... new cluster im afraid....

Sounds like a bunch of cowboys if you ask me... Hope you didnt give a lot for it??

Also with the new MOT testing they log the milage on the system so the next time you go they can view the milage to check for clocking.. if its not changed... your car will fail the MOT... then thats another problem...

Cheers

RickT

shaba
04-01-2007, 06:13 PM
the car has full audi history and a doctor owned it before.. I got it from a trader... The car is really clean and drivcs perfect.. thanks for advice will get a new cluster and see if that helps..

RickT
04-01-2007, 06:15 PM
before getting a new cluster... check the codes on VAG-COM to see ehat has been reported.... the cluster are about £400 upwards...

Cheers

RicKT

shaba
04-01-2007, 06:24 PM
what is vag-com?

Teutonic_Tamer
04-01-2007, 07:03 PM
what is vag-com?

It is a M$ Windows based software package, used on a laptop, connected to your OBD2/EOBD port (diagnostic port). It nigh-on fully emulates the proper VW Audi system, and read fault codes, both generic, and manufacturer specific, and can do loaaaaaadddds of other stuff, like resetting service interval display, adapting throttle bodies, purging ABS system (for brake fluid change).

Do a Google search - you will then want one ! ! !

Rgds

shaba
04-01-2007, 07:20 PM
is there anywhere in london that i can go to to get a report? what exactly will this program tell me that will help with the miles situation?

probelm is ifi get a 2nd hand cluster i will then have to get the milage corrected and if i do that it may cause that to freeze too?

Teutonic_Tamer
04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
is there anywhere in london that i can go to to get a report? what exactly will this program tell me that will help with the miles situation?

Fire this up (if you are on dial-up rather than DSL, go make a pot of tea/roast dinner/**** the... whoever, I don't want to know - cause it'll take a while to fully load) http://www.steve-hall.com/cgi-bin/VAG-Locator.pl. Search through all the US stuff for London and fire off an e-mail to whoever is closest.

probelm is ifi get a 2nd hand cluster i will then have to get the milage corrected and if i do that it may cause that to freeze too?

Dunno - my head hurts at the mo - must be time for my nap zzzzzzzzz. You can get mileage corrected, but it is a very dodgy area, and I don't know if the original prob will return.

Rgds