PDA

View Full Version : Question Machine polisher

Naseem
30-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi all, just in halfords yesterday looking at car cleaning stuff. I know a lot of people use the Meguairs 3 system method, i was thinking of using that, and maybe some clay before that.

When i usually wash my car I use a jet spray to rinse off, then wash briefly with the brush attachment with soap from the washer. I then rinse off and go over any missed areas with a sponge. After that I dry the car with leather, polish, and wax. (rarely if I'm bothered I an extra coat of each).

I usually apply the polish and wax with a cotten rag, one to apply and one to duff, each panel at a time.

I was going start using the 2 bucket method and a wash mitt on my new car.

I see a lot of people using machine polishers on forum images etc... I had a look at some and they're a bit on the pricey side. Halfords have a mini hand polisher for about £20. Is it worth getting this? I don't think it's dual action. Would it be safe to apply and buff polish and wax with this if i used the Meguairs 3 step products?

DEBBIE.G
30-05-2008, 07:02 PM
I would not bother if i was you TBH.If you want real results from a MP i would go for a UDM or Megs g220.
Its the old old saying you get what you pay for.
id go for one Like this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/UDM-Ultimate-Detailing-Machine-porter-cable-polisher_W0QQitemZ200227405968QQihZ010QQcategoryZ7 2201QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mike McKinstry
13-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I know someone who got a halfords polisher for Xmas and after one use said he would not use it again as it vibrated about so much.As already mentioned better to go for porter cable ,strongly supported on sites such as cleanyourcar.co.uk and meguires website.
I want to try and get reasonable priced machine and have old second car to practice on.

JustinM3
14-06-2008, 04:38 PM
Being VW I'd go straight to rotary, and be careful with a mild abrasive (and read up guides on how to use).
Ideally you need a paint thickness gauge, but are a few hundred.
I've the megs g220, best of the dual action, but on vw paint achieves next to nothing.
52 plate black golf I did 4 hits of menzerna powergloss (most abrasive) and achieved sod all correction.
http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/product_info.php?catid=369&id=4572

About £50.

To clean up the paint, and give a good surface for waxing, megs g220 will do you proud, but is a little disheartning all that work leading to little correction.

DEBBIE.G
17-06-2008, 02:33 PM
I would be careful going straight to a rotary you could quite easily do alot more damage than good!!!!!!
Did you use a heavy cutting pad with the menz pg?

Being VW I'd go straight to rotary, and be careful with a mild abrasive (and read up guides on how to use).
Ideally you need a paint thickness gauge, but are a few hundred.
I've the megs g220, best of the dual action, but on vw paint achieves next to nothing.
52 plate black golf I did 4 hits of menzerna powergloss (most abrasive) and achieved sod all correction.
http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/product_info.php?catid=369&id=4572

About £50.

To clean up the paint, and give a good surface for waxing, megs g220 will do you proud, but is a little disheartning all that work leading to little correction.

JustinM3
17-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Yeah hard pad, just stupidly hard paint!
I know it's not best idea going straight to rotary, depends on person, but said it as a demonstration of how hard to correct these are - Megs is next to useless against it.
Would need a lot more patience than me!

Christian6984
28-06-2008, 11:18 AM
i would agree with not bothering with the halfords one its took big and does nothing more that shake ur hands to pieces, for volkswagen menzerna or 3M are the best best. Flex have recently brought a DA that has the safety benefits of the DA with near matches to correcting paint, unforunatley the pad attachment is quite tricky and the speed starts quite high.

chrissy077
09-07-2008, 07:00 PM
i have the halfords polisher, its rubbish :zx11:, used it once and never again, it nearly shook my arm right off, can only see it doing damage to your car. personally i felt like a cheat using it, went back to using good old arm power, did the job fine and much more satisfied afterwards. i used the meg 3 stage, excellent job,

Christian6984
09-07-2008, 10:01 PM
The G220 from megs is expensive but with the right technique it is possible to correct swirl marks on VAG cars (all the halfords one does its spread polish), but a bit more patience is needed over a rotary user, If you do decide to go for machine polishing its a briliant machine and very used friendly, they are currently fixing the few problems with it being new.

Megs 3 stage is a brilliant, if you want a long lasting wax, have a look at Collinite (i use 476s)