PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Cutting Out (N75?)

scottjenkins
29-05-2008, 08:32 PM
Hiya all
I have a 1999 passat 1.9TDi 110 s and when i get to about 60mph the turbo cuts out and only comes back on after turning off the car and restarting it.
This started last year and was told the MAF is a common cause so i changed this with no effect except smoke was getting darker and darker coming out the exhaust. I was then told that the Turbo needs replacing but reluctant to pay £800 i bought a used 1 which all seemed fine until a month ago when it starded again.
after reading up more on forums ive boudgt a N75 of ebay, can anyone tell me where abouts it lives in the engine and is there anything else i could check for.
Thanks
Scott

Crasher
29-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Down at the front of the engine in front of the ball shaped vac res. Have you done a fault code read? If you are getting code 17965 that is very common and you may just have fitted a turbo with the same issue.

scottjenkins
30-05-2008, 08:42 AM
Hi Crasher
thanks for responding. I had a fault code check when this originally started but they said there seemed to be no probems. ive also read that the pipe coming out of the intercooler going into the engine manifold could be cracked, it seems that the symptoms could be caused by a lot of different problems.

Crasher
30-05-2008, 01:49 PM
It could be a lot of things but I am suspicious of it not having a code stored. I have a Golf in today that was supposedly read for codes recently and none were shown. I tried to read the codes and couldn’t, some absolute muppet had been sticking probes into the pins of the diagnostic socket and bent them all so I couldn’t get comms. When I had straightened the pins and did a read, there were nine fault codes stored.

cpam
31-05-2008, 10:27 PM
Hi Crasher
thanks for responding. I had a fault code check when this originally started but they said there seemed to be no probems. ive also read that the pipe coming out of the intercooler going into the engine manifold could be cracked, it seems that the symptoms could be caused by a lot of different problems.

make sure that this pipe coming out of the inter cooler going into the engine manifold has no cracks, I had the same problem, new one cost me around 80 from VW.

Mike McKinstry
07-06-2008, 10:21 PM
Mine was £36 inc vat from VW dealership.

Mike