PDA

View Full Version : Just bought Audi A3

stevel1973
29-05-2008, 08:29 PM
Hi
I have just bought a Audi A3 2000 1.8 T with 69`000 miles on the clock, from a local dealer, it comes with 3 months warrenty, i have negociated it to have a service and cambelt change in the price, i cant wait to get it as it did drive really smoothly, are there any other things known that i should be aware of?

kite
30-05-2008, 01:23 AM
Get them to change the water pump while they are doing the belt.
water pumps are known to fail.

stevel1973
30-05-2008, 08:25 AM
Are there any signs of water pump failure, its only im picking it up tommorrow and i think its a bit late now to re negociate.

kite
30-05-2008, 04:20 PM
Signs of a failed water pump is the engine gets hot.
See if you can pay for the pump yourself while they are doing the belt
its around £40.

stevel1973
31-05-2008, 06:13 PM
Just typical, i picked the car up today. After cruising around for an hour i went on the motorway at a speed of 70 mph and my coolent light started to flash at me at the temperature was 110 c. i pulled over then switched the car off for a couple minutes and restarted to which the temperature reduced to a normal 90 c and then after another couple minutes the same was happening. I have checked the coolent level and that was fine.
In conclusion, around town it did not over heat, but sustain 70+ mph it over heats, is this the behaviour of a water pump, or is it somehting else???
I took it back to the dealership and from a stand still i maintaned 3000 revs and within 5 minutes it also over heated and some steam come out from where the bottle is.
Your thoughts please.

kite
31-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Water pump or thermostat !
Thermostat's can fail to open causing the car to overheat.
Water pumps have plastic impellors which are known to break, so not pumping the water round causing overheating.
Take the car back, get them to fix the overheating problem.