PDA

View Full Version : Running in...?

derekm
29-05-2008, 02:51 PM
Just wondering if many people are paying much attention to the hand book about running in proceedures.

My Dealer has told me not to worry about running it in and just drive as you would do normally from day one. Obviously allowing sufficient time for the engine to warm up and not going mad and redlining it it every gear all the time, but you know what i mean.

Have most people on here been just driving normally from day one and using the full range of the engine?

mkc
29-05-2008, 02:55 PM
Past experience tells me that it is worth running in for a few 1000 miles. Normally end up with better fuel consumption. I was advised not to go over 3000rpm on my 2006 BMW for at least 2000miles by BMW.

However, as technology moves on it would be interesting to see what people are doing with their B8s.....

RichardCranium
29-05-2008, 04:23 PM
Was a question i was going to ask. BMW still recommend the run in process. I've never bothered personally but dont go too daft until its got a few miles on the clock.

My run in will consist of Huddersfield to Bracknell, to Cardiff, and then home the next day! Should be bedded in by then!;)

HotChip
29-05-2008, 04:52 PM
I normally don't take it above 3000 for the first 1000 miles or so. I'm not even sure what the handbook says, I'm just following my usual routine.

My previous A4 didn't have the computer showing your current fuel consumption and it's certainly been a bit of an eye opener. Also, the dash telling you when to change gear for optimum fuel consumption is having an effect on my driving style.

I'll be getting a pair of driving gloves next!

RichardCranium
29-05-2008, 05:39 PM
I'll be getting a pair of driving gloves next!

As long as you dont have one of them bloody churchill dogs nodding away in you back window. Man I hate them

MackemMan
29-05-2008, 06:53 PM
With Multitronic (& 8 gears) I struggle to get to 3000rpm. Suppose I could drop it into Sports mode.