PDA

View Full Version : help window fell out of track

Camaro91boy
29-05-2008, 03:33 AM
hey guys i have a 1997 vr6 glx vw passat and i let my dad use it to drive to work everyday for the last week and a half. but when i got in it today and rolled down the window i heard aloud pop and now the window won't roll back up so how do i fix this because come next rain storm im screwed.

erico
03-06-2008, 02:36 PM
hey guys i have a 1997 vr6 glx vw passat and i let my dad use it to drive to work everyday for the last week and a half. but when i got in it today and rolled down the window i heard aloud pop and now the window won't roll back up so how do i fix this because come next rain storm im screwed.
Which window? Front or rear?

Hopefully you have at least by this time removed the inside handle and cover and placed a suitably sized piece of wood (after raising the window by hand) to keep the rain out.
When you remove the cover inspect the assembly to see if the window is still in the channels on fore and aft. The loud pop you heard was most likely the failure of the gear on either the motor or the regulator. The motor is quite expensive. The regulator is reasonably priced at the dealer. Remove the motor and the regulator as a unit. With both your eyes and sense of touch you will know which is bad. Rough spots on the regulator gear (use your fingers...it should be smooth and not rough and jagged to the touch) will make the window jump slightly when closing and also prevent full closure of the window. I can provide more detailed instruction , including images if you need them.

Cheers,
Eric

Foringo
03-06-2008, 11:44 PM
I had a problem a few weeks ago with the driver's electric window. I slammed the door with the glass rolled down and when I tried to wind it up again it wouldn't move.

I had the panel off (10 min job) and found that the glass has come out of the guide channel on front edge. I manoeuvred the glass back in and its been ok since. Couldn't see any wear problem or defect so I assume that it's just poor design that allows too much movement. In future I won't slam the door on any car with glass wound down.