PDA

View Full Version : Which towbar for mk4 golf?

mobitune
27-05-2008, 10:39 PM
Been looking through the minefield that is towbars, my main criteria is that I want to be able to disconnect the visible part when not in use.

Westfalia detachable seems to be one of the most common, has anyone seen one of these? Are they truely invisible when disconnected?

cheers for now

Pete

Roger 150
04-07-2008, 08:30 PM
Hi Pete,
I bought and fitted a VW Item with removable/lockable ball and flip down electrics connection.
Realy easy to fit, no drilling as all the mount points were already in place, just needed uncovering. Electrics connections were already in place too.
A small bit of cutting to the lower black part of the bumper. Overall when not in use I think it is invisible.
Ball sits in the polystrene tool holder perfectly.
Roger.
Golf 4 TDI

yydelilah
20-07-2010, 05:42 PM
Hi Roger,

I saw this post when I was trying to work out the best way to attach a towbar to my Mk4 Golf GTI. Hope you don't mind me asking another question.

You say you fitted this yourself - did the VW towbar come with fitting instructions and would you say fitting it yourself was easy enough for the average DIYer?

What was the part number of the one you fitted?

thanks

Roger 150
20-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Hi yydelilah,
I would say competent/confident DIYer with a good metric tool box including a torque wrench.
Yes it comes with its own manual booklet.
I'm sorry its been a long time so i cant remember the details, but
Light clusters off
the rear bumper comes off
the rear bumper mount bar comes off
the new bar replaces the above and mounts into new holes in the box chasis that is exposed
find the mount bolt access covers on the outside of the box sects each side, which are under the the underseal and paint use a blade to cut around the plugs and remove, other wise you may rip off more underseal than required.
bolt the new bar on and torque up through the outer covers, setting is in the manual.
refit the bumper to the new bar after fitting the electrics kit. i think there is a gromet kit for the cable and the hole already exists look for the painted gromet.
Not cheap but relativly easy to do and useful once fitted.
Regards
Roger

yydelilah
20-07-2010, 10:58 PM
Thanks for the reply.

Just one more question. Does the installation require cutting the rear bumper at all.

I'm hoping I can get a towbar that doesn't involve any permanent mods to my vehicle, so that when I'm through towing I can remove the towbar and the car will look like it did before.

btw. Did your towbar come complete with electrics or is that a separate buy?

thanks again...

regards

joelbaby
18-08-2010, 05:09 PM
Hi,

I went to a VW dealership today.
Cost of towbar and electrics is not expensive (compared to other towbars from 3rd parties)
Easy to fit on a Mk4 golf.
On a new Golf - it will be difficult as the electrics cannot be plugged into the taillights - they need to be routed through to the front of the car.

But you asked these questions:

>btw. Did your towbar come complete with electrics or is that a separate buy?
The VW towbar comes with electrics - but phone dealership parts department to confirm.

>Is it invisible?
No. But at least you can take the towball out, which means it won't stick out very far when not in use. You will probably see a black square hole.

>I'm hoping I can get a towbar that doesn't involve any permanent mods to my vehicle, so that when I'm through towing I can remove the towbar and the car will look like it did before.

A towbar IS a permanent mod attached to the structure of the car.
(not to be confused with the towball which is the bit that a trailer hooks onto).
On some vehicles its welded on. At least on your Golf it will be bolted on.
You will have to make a small cut in the rear bumper, but VW provide you with a template.

Don't waste your time trying take take a towbar on and off everytime you want to use it. If you're going to do that - save yourself time and money and hire a van.