PDA

View Full Version : Boot / trunk lock activates but won't unlock Video

headache56
27-05-2008, 06:21 PM
I just replaced the boot / trunk LOCK in my 1999 1.8T VW Passat. The spring inside the old lock, which flicks a lever over when the boot /trunk is in the closed position, had broken. The new mechanism now locks fine but will not unlock.

However, my new problem is that the electric mechanism will not unlock. I am also unable to open the lock manually using the key. From inside the car I can reach behind the rear seats, pull the unlocking bar then it unlocks.

I cannot see why the unlocking rod is not moving. Just looking at the piston moving and the bits that are connected to it, I cannot see that the angles and connections would ever result in the rod moving but there seems only one way of connecting the unlocking rod to the lock so I am stumped.
Here's the video:
http://uk.youtube.com/user/headachefiftysix

headache56
28-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Er fixed it - tail between my legs.

The unlocking rod does not actually move because the boot is not intended to flick open itself.

Instead, it seems, the piston retracts to allow the rod to be moved when one opens (as opposed to unlocks) the boot from the outside. Anyway it all works fine now. I am learning (graudually).

markski
10-09-2008, 11:48 PM
I just replaced the boot / trunk LOCK in my 1999 1.8T VW Passat. The spring inside the old lock, which flicks a lever over when the boot /trunk is in the closed position, had broken. The new mechanism now locks fine but will not unlock.

However, my new problem is that the electric mechanism will not unlock. I am also unable to open the lock manually using the key. From inside the car I can reach behind the rear seats, pull the unlocking bar then it unlocks.

I cannot see why the unlocking rod is not moving. Just looking at the piston moving and the bits that are connected to it, I cannot see that the angles and connections would ever result in the rod moving but there seems only one way of connecting the unlocking rod to the lock so I am stumped.
Here's the video:
http://uk.youtube.com/user/headachefiftysix

awsome, every one should use utube link.. Ta