PDA

View Full Version : Bluetooth - high or low?

JohnH99
27-05-2008, 03:08 PM
To all those that have taken delivery of your cars or those in the know, I would like to ask a question about the Bluetooth. I am about to order an S line Avant and have been quoted by the dealer for phone prep low and he insists that this is the system I need. A far as I can tell from the brochure I should be ordering phone prep high. I don't want a cradle or a handset - just to leave the phone in my pocket and be able to use it from the car controls, I have a Nokia N95 and the dealer has also said that these can be troublesome and my current Honda system does throw the occasional wobbly with it. So, should I be ordering high or low?
Thanks and aplogies if this has been discussed before.

browellm
27-05-2008, 03:26 PM
John, my understanding:

Bluetooth low, if you don't have Nav
Bluetooth high, if you have the sat-nav option.

Bluetooth low gives you all the functionality you are looking for, I think. Mine has certainly paired with the car without any adaptors/handsets.

The brochure is non too clear, I agree.

The dealer might be right on this occasion :p

Bloater
27-05-2008, 03:48 PM
Bluetooth low is all I have got. Phone is paired with the car, and automatically connects/disconnects when I get in the car. Use the steering wheel controls to scroll through the phone address book, on the dash, and call.

I also notice that you can use the voice control to dial as well, dealer said the voice jobby was for Sat Nav only, wrong again.

Bloater.

JohnH99
27-05-2008, 04:12 PM
The quote they provided also included sat nav so I guess I should spec the high option. I didn't know about the voice thingy though. I had a B6 with sat nav and that came with the voice control thrown in as well as two SD slots behind the fold down screen.

stewartt997
27-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I had excatly the same problem myself when trying to decide.

According to the dealer the low prep option allows blue tooth connection to your phone with access to your phone book and basic calls.

The high prep option allows you to use text messaging and higher functions that would normally be done on your phone.

I went for the low prep despite having sat nav as I figured I'd be enjpoying the car more than attempting to text message whilst driving!! Doubt plod would be too impressed either if they saw what you were up to.

derekm
28-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Are the aerials for the phone prep low colour coded with the body colour or are the just black...?

Mine has phone prep low and the aerial is just black, which is a bit disappointing....!

alexcf
28-05-2008, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know whether you can have multiple phones paired at the same time?

browellm
28-05-2008, 12:33 PM
You can pair 4 phones, only one at a time though.