PDA

View Full Version : Question diesel or petrol t5?

Tewbacca
27-05-2008, 12:16 PM
Hi,

I'm thinking of buying a t5 transporter to go surfing in. As I currently drive a Mini Cooper S its going to be a big change for me. As I like to be able to keep up or pass slow drivers I'm now thinking of what engine I should be looking at. The 2.5 tdi 128kw seems to be very popular here in Australia but there are a number of 3.2 v6 173 kw engines vans around. Obviously with the price of fuel these days I need to consider this aspect as well.

My preference is the V6 but would like all points of view and what I need to look out for in 2nd hand vans around the 2005 model year. Any help in my decision making process would be appreciated.

regards to all
Tewbacca

AnthonyR
29-05-2008, 06:40 PM
I'd suggest taking a test ride in one. Ok it certainly isn't going to match the Mini for agility but they are suprisingly quick, especially if your used to older vans.

I have the diesel 1.9tdi in 103ish power and I'm often suprised how quick it is compared to some cars on the road. Certainly plenty of grunt for overtaking but you'll just have to give it a little more preparation than in the mini.

I also have a 4.3L V8 lexus to compare it to, and to be honest I really can't see me actually needing any more power in a van. I'm never left thinking 'Gosh I wish I was in the car' under normal driving conditions.

Tewbacca
30-05-2008, 07:38 AM
Hi Anthony.

Thanks for your thoughts Much appreciated . I'd love to be able to test drive both here in Hobart Tasmania but both are very few and far between on the road. Lots available second hand on the mainland Australia. but not here.

I was thinking of lobbing up to the new VW Sales place and giving them the line that I was interested in a brand new one. Pity I wasn't but a low mileage second hand one is my preference. Let someone else suffer the new car depreciation first has always been my motto.

cheers
Gary