PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Gamma radio - low illumination

njek
26-05-2008, 07:06 PM
I posted this in the VW Passat section, but no answers, so trying my luck in this more dedicated section...

Hi all

First post here as I'm a new convert to VW. Had a Mondeo, which got written off, decided no more blue oval for me, so am now the owner of a 2004 Passat 2.0 Highline.

Anyways, onto my question...

My centre console contains the 6 disc changer, the Gamma radio, and the Climatronic system. Just noticed on my first drive in the dark, that the Gamma is not illuminating to the same extent as the other 2 units. It's definitely illuminating to a degree, but nowhere near as brightly as the others.

Any ideas what could be causing this? I've tried kinda resetting it by adjusting the dash illumination up and down, but no joy, it still doesn't illuminate any brighter.

Thanks in advance!

Froggy
27-05-2008, 01:04 PM
Does the back lighting adjust at all ? If so then there's probably not much you can do.

If it doesn't, it may be that the connection for the dimming isn't very well. Unlikely but possible.

njek
03-06-2008, 07:51 AM
Does the back lighting adjust at all ? If so then there's probably not much you can do.

If it doesn't, it may be that the connection for the dimming isn't very well. Unlikely but possible.

Yeah, the backlighting does dim even further as I dim the dash lighting. So, from what you're saying, there isn't much hope then?

Froggy
03-06-2008, 11:58 AM
It's possible you just have a few leds/bulbs that have failed, or that the unit is not quite the right one for the vehicle, maybe swapped at some time and as a result the brightness isn't correct for the car. Either is a possibility.

Eclipse car Audio
03-06-2008, 12:27 PM
Used to get this on the old Philips/ Vauxhall radios and it was basically just dirt and dust on the inside of the little screen at the front unfortunately it means taking the radio apart to get to it.

Dont know if you get the same on these but just a thought ;)

njek
03-06-2008, 03:58 PM
It's possible you just have a few leds/bulbs that have failed, or that the unit is not quite the right one for the vehicle, maybe swapped at some time and as a result the brightness isn't correct for the car. Either is a possibility.

Is it possible to change the leds/bulbs?

The unit is the same as was fitted in the factory, as the code is written on the original instruction book.

May just cut my losses and replace the unit for either another Gamma, or for a double-din replacement. That would mean losing the changer, but ipod integration is more important to me than a changer. I currently have a Dension Ice-LinkFM, so could get away with a double-din unit with a single cd slot. What are my options in terms of VW units?