PDA

View Full Version : Radar Detectors

GurnyGub
03-01-2007, 04:47 PM
Waiting for the imminent arrival of my v6 like a kid. It'll have the dvd satnav system with single cd changer and usb port. I don't want any more points! Any ideas for a good allround compatible system, mostly rural (handheld), some town, and less motorway use? I was too late to upgrade to the Dynaudio two weeks before build, but thinking of it aftermarket if possible.

MalcQV
29-01-2007, 10:41 AM
Waiting for the imminent arrival of my v6 like a kid. It'll have the dvd satnav system with single cd changer and usb port. I don't want any more points! Any ideas for a good allround compatible system, mostly rural (handheld), some town, and less motorway use? I was too late to upgrade to the Dynaudio two weeks before build, but thinking of it aftermarket if possible.

I think you are asking about a decent radar detector yes?

Did you get one? I suggest Road Angel

GurnyGub
29-01-2007, 12:49 PM
MalcQV
I'm still looking. I read some reviews of the Road Angel, that were'nt great about reliability. There's a Bel Europa Evo966R, with optional laser, which I'll have to google. I'm still driving slow, running the car in, but I'd better hurry up!
Vwjay
Sorry, no idea about antennae. And the fitted sound system works well, top up or down, so I'll leave it.

Froggy
29-01-2007, 03:33 PM
This is probably as good as they get, and extra's can be added on depending on how much "protection" you require

http://www.originb2.com/

GurnyGub
29-01-2007, 08:49 PM
Froggy
Looks good and worth a closer look. Cheers,
John:beerchug:

neh321
30-01-2007, 10:45 AM

I have a Road Angel which I would recommend. It has been very reliable but occasionally can be a bit slow to lock on to the signal..

EOSmage
09-02-2007, 08:16 PM
This isn't a cheap one, however, it is an amazingly accurate and effective radar detector. The display counts how many separate signals it encounters and points in the direction that it found them. You can check out the website at http://www.valentine1.com/.

Remember, you can't buy these at a store. They are only available online from the site above. I have one, and it is great.

They have an "upgrade your valentine" program for when updates or enhancements are released. Usually for a trivial amount of money. The detector never needs to be thrown out.

For those "serious" about not getting a ticket, this is the best one available (in my opinion). :)

GurnyGub
09-02-2007, 08:23 PM
Thanks, just got tracker horizon fitted, will now have head down for this.
John

EOSmage
15-02-2007, 07:18 PM
Well, the Valentine is the last radar detector you'll ever buy. :( Too bad I was a little too late and that you'd already bought another.

My valentine has "saved" me several times. There are a few places where the "old" detector would go off from alarm systems, and the police (knowing this, I'm sure) set up their trap right near it.

Valentine normally detects 3 sources of one band in the area, but this time, it picked up 4 sources, one of which was in a different band. time to slow down. The guy in the second lane must have ignored whatever detector he was using and got nabbed, while I just slowly coasted by.

well, I hope yours is as effective as mine :) I don't speed much, but it is nice to be protected for the one or two times I do...

NicholasP
15-02-2007, 10:07 PM
that valentine detector looks the nuts..

where does it sit in the car exactly?

does it defend you from undercover police cars on the motorways that are detecting your speed?

Nick

EOSmage
15-02-2007, 10:32 PM
The detector sits on the window (the higher up, the better). I have seen some people actually have it built into the console system that is on the roof of their car (several friends have them too). I have the wiring run through the trim, so the power plug is hidden and keeps the look of the car clean. The limitation is that the detector needs to be able to "see" forward and backwards especially to handle laser.

They have a "remote panel" that you can install in your dash, if you are worried about having the "arrows and display" glowing bright for all to see.

As for undercover cars, there isn't any protection against that. If a police officer wants to follow you, clock your speed from his own car's speedometer, you are going to get caught. Nothing is foolproof. :) If they turn on a radar unit to confirm your speed (which many police agencies are required to do), you will be notified by the detector. You have to hope that they will "test" someone else before they "test" you.

Honestly, as I said before, I don't speed that often and am willing to risk the undercover tracker-car when I do. Fact is, however, that this detector gives you the best protection against radar or laser based systems (ahead of and behind you) of any that I've seen (that's my opinion, but you can check the statistics yourself).

Most of the time, when I'm going at regular speed, I still use the detector. I like to know what's around me, that includes police... :) Knowledge = power (even if the knowledge isn't useful at the time).

[disclaimer: these are my views. I realize that speeding/radar detectors spark many intense and vastly different views... I don't intent to offend anyone here, but am just stating my personal view. Also, although I wish it were otherwise, I don't work for-- or know anyone who does-- valentine1 radar detectors... So this wasn't a "paid ad"] :)

PS: I did detect-- sorry for the pun-- your sarcasm, but chose to ignore it. :)

NicholasP
16-02-2007, 01:51 AM
i wasn't being sarcastic if you were referring to me. Im genuinely interested!

Froggy
16-02-2007, 01:28 PM
I don't think the valentine is available in the UK - I had never heard of it before this thread.

The undercover bit is very moot point in the UK as well. If the police are using the in car video, with it's calibrated speed reading your stuffed. Also a lot of forces in the UK use Laser targeting speed checkers which a normal radar detector won't pick up. That's why the origin unit and others like it are quite nifty, as they (not necessarily very legally) can also block/disrupt laser measuring techniques.

Just my 2p worth ;)

marty72
17-02-2007, 02:08 AM
http://www.originb2.com/

I've got one of the Origin b2's only problem I've had with it was leaving it at home the night I got stopped with an average speed of 98.6mph :aargh4:

Needles to say I never leave home without it now :biglaugh:

:beerchug: M

EOSmage
24-02-2007, 12:35 AM
The Origin B2 is a nice unit too, and I very much like the idea of downloading fixed-camera locations.

Unfortunately, in Canada, that isn't available; while "intersection cameras" are used, they are not really that common yet.

I think that both units are in the "top performance" category for their respective locals.

Thanks for the information.

el_ringo
06-05-2007, 11:13 AM
Is anyone aware if you can change the colour of the LCD backlight in the Origin B2? Just sold a Ford (green inside) and now the nice red glow in the Audi doesn't match! Don't really like their new all-in-one Pogo.

R

peakwhite
23-11-2007, 11:06 PM
I have used several different radar detectors in the past, in various cars, and they all are visible sitting on the dashboard or clipped onto the sunshade (which then won't operate fully). I was pleased to find recently the GPS Mirror from Speedcheetah, which is a nice looking mirror which clips over your rear view mirror.

One advantage of this unit is that it doesn't look like a conventional radar detector, and the other is that it gives radar, laser and GPS alerts all in one unit. The radar/laser detector is a separate unit hidden behind the VW badge at the front of my EOS, with a wireless link to the mirror. Ingenious. I've got photos of my installation, if anyone is interested.

paulthefox
28-11-2007, 11:52 PM
yes some photos please:biggthump

paul

peakwhite
04-01-2008, 10:39 PM
Here are some photos of the Sentinel radar detector and the GPS Mirror, in my EOS.

First, the grille removed to find a location for the radar detector. The position selected is directly behind the VW badge, which is easily removed.

http://www.bonfield.co.uk/forum/29092007(003).JPG

Next, showing the detector in place before the VW badge is replaced. Note that the detector must be horizontal and not tilted upwards like the front of the grille.

http://www.bonfield.co.uk/forum/05102007(002).JPG

The next photo shows the detector concealed behind the badge. It is covered with a black cloth. It is connected with a pair of wires attached to the battery via a fuse and ignition sensor switch.

http://www.bonfield.co.uk/forum/03122007(001).JPG

The GPS mirror clips over the front of the rear-view mirror and has LEDs and a loudspeaker built in.

http://www.bonfield.co.uk/forum/01122007(003).JPG

The mirror is powered from the 12V feed to the overhead reading lights. The second wire in the photo is for the GPS detector situated between the mirror and windscreen.

http://www.bonfield.co.uk/forum/01122007(001).JPG

Any questions, please ask

paulthefox
04-01-2008, 10:45 PM
thanks for photos

neat installation nice and descreet:biglaugh:

paul

freni32
05-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Here is a neat article about the mounting of the V1 I found, plays a big role in the performance of it:

http://www.radarreviews.net/forums/valentine-one-radar/1194-mount-v1-high-rear-view-mirror-low-dash.html