PDA

View Full Version : Question Placing an Order Soon, What Extra's are Best?

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I'm just writing up the spec of my replacment company car. can anyone give advice on my spec.

Engine – 2.0 TDI

Body Style – Avant

Trim – S Line

Transmission – Automatic multi-tronic 8-speed (It has to be 'Auto')

Colour – Monza silver, Metallic, U7 (I have to have 'Silver' it's company law!)

Interior – Seats Leather/Alcantara, Black with silver stitching QF. Inlays Vavona wood Assam grey - 5TW (Full leather of not I can't make my mind up)

6XK - Exterior mirrors, heated, electrically-folding and with auto-dimming function (Thinking this will be good for those tight spots)

7X4 - Audi Parking System Plus (Need these for the wife! only joking)

QE1 - Storage pack ( I have this at the mo, good for storage!)

6SJ - Reversible load mat with bumper cover (I'll be carrying kit so protecting the bumper seems a good idea)

8T1 - Cruise Control (Not standard, but I use it alot)

4A3 - Heated front seats (Not sure about this one, but it could be handy come the winter)

PT5 - Mobile telephone preparation (I have this at the mo very useful, dialing via the steering wheel)

8UM - Audi Symphony Radio (Think I'm going to ditch this, the standard SD reader sounds good to me)

Deletion of model and capacity designation at rear (I never like the decals on the rear)

Should I go for B and O audio and Sat Nav? :biglaugh:

HighwayTG
26-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Good list of options but I would also consider :

Bang and Olufsen sound system - great music, nearly as good as my expensive home setup.

Hill Start - used this on the A6 and it was brilliant, especially where I live.

Interior Light package - this adds a lot of class to the car (at night times of course)

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 04:14 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, it's always good to get feedback on car extra's (wots good to have and wots not)

All feedback is good to hear.

:D

JJAvant
26-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Nice spec.
I would agree that the interior light package is worth having. I have also gone for the load area rail system and powered tailgate on my new Avant, a 1.8TFSi SE Multitronic which according to the dealer should be built in week commencing 23 June so not much longer to wait !

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 05:30 PM
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Just found out that you don't get the MMI on the central console unless you have Sat Nav Option.

So much the Audi website and Pricing/Specification Guide doesn't tell you.

:aargh4:

HotChip
26-05-2008, 05:30 PM
Very nice spec.

Just taken delivery of an S-Line saloon. I would recommend the servotronic steering as I am finding the steering quite hard work compared to my previous A4.

The SD card is superb. Leave the CDs in the house!

On the heated seats, if you're looking for the "I feel like I've just wet myself" experience. then I would recommend them. Be warned!!

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 05:41 PM
On the heated seats, if you're looking for the "I feel like I've just wet myself" experience. then I would recommend them. Be warned!!

I've had that feeling before! But should I spec it in, not to sure.

browellm
26-05-2008, 05:44 PM
If you are going full leather, I probably would. If you are going Alcantara, personally I wouldn't bother.

Audi Nick
26-05-2008, 09:12 PM
I've had mine for 3 days now and loving every minute of it. You have to go with the Sat Nav, add ons just don't quite do it. I have the tyre pressure monitor and I recommend this as it is possible to lose type pressure without warning and the first you will be aware of it is when you are driving on the rims!

The lighting pack has already been mentioned, looks cool and really should be standard.

The hill start is for old men and take my word for it, you don't need it although you may just go for it for the nice shiny button!

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 10:48 PM
Cheers for all the feedback, it's good to talk.

Anymore for anymore?

DimaA6_ABC_Kiev
27-05-2008, 10:54 AM
I would take three-zone climate.

steve1234
27-05-2008, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I'd definiteley get the interior light pack if for nothing else the glove box light!!

Don't worry about the hill holder thing, I've got it on my manual and it's very useful but I would imagine less so on an auto as you can't roll back.

I have sat nav and it's excellent so I'd tick that box. The option also gives you a CD changer and a colour driver's info computer but the main thing is the re-location of the MMI controls. As you have the high level phone kit like me the movement of the MMI to down near the gear lever is a must I think. If you have the sat nav though you loose the SD card so maybe think about the iPod connector if you like that kind of digital thing.... Nav adds to re sale as well with many people expecting it on that level of car now.

I have B&O and it is very good but then so is the standard and it's not cheap, I'd think twice about ordering it again, it does look nice though with the aluminium ringed speakers in the otherwise rather black door!

Enjoy......

mkc
27-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Isnt the Drivers Info screen on the dash colour on all spec? Only the MMI screen monochrome on the standard spec? Is that right?

steve1234
27-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Maybe it is...... I'm alking about the one inbetween the speedo & rev counter that does the trip info,? It certainly used to be part of the Nav option that this became colour as it shows directions. Might be standard now on SE and S-Line. I've always had on audis as I always have nav....

mkc
27-05-2008, 01:54 PM
Yup thats the one. One I had for a day did not have sat nav but had a colour drivers information bit between the rev counter and speedo as it showed the best time to change gear (the numbers went green). Perhaps it is colour as standard on SE and S Line. It always use to be a monochrome red on black on the older Audis Ive seen. Cant afford sat nav! Mind you I only drive 12 miles to and from work each day, odd trip to the shops and thats it!

steve1234
27-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Excellent, about time as it's definitely smarter and it can be used as a rather nice digital speedo on the B8. At a couple of grand it has to be something you need rather than just "fancy", I need it with the miles I do and places that I go to so it's money well spent - best in built sat nav on the maraket in my opinion and I've used a few.

mjb-a4
27-05-2008, 10:21 PM
A great lot of feedback here, it's good to hear how others extras are working out.

I've went for the 'Cool Glovebox' on my current 05 A4, who knows why? Not even I do!

I had a canned drink in it once and some milk the other month! Not bad for 3yrs and 90,000 miles use.

B6Andy101
27-05-2008, 10:48 PM
MMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Just found out that you don't get the MMI on the central console unless you have Sat Nav Option.

So much the Audi website and Pricing/Specification Guide doesn't tell you.

:aargh4:

It is in there if you read the small print !!

mjb-a4
27-05-2008, 10:57 PM
I'm finding unless you read all the Audi info a number of times you do not get the full picture.

And it's easy to take for granted what you are getting for your money. So I'm taking it vvvvvvvvvvery sssssssssssssssslowly!

And of course asking for advise from all the Audi owners here.

Thanks for all your help, it is all proving very valuable.

:biggthump

B6Andy101
27-05-2008, 11:10 PM
The B&O makes a big difference. Not only in terms of sound but the silver trim to the speakers is sweet. Now all we need to work out is how to get rid of the silver dash trim (surrounding the screen)....looks a bit cheap to me...but that's the only downer I have.

mjb-a4
29-05-2008, 08:44 PM
Isnt the Drivers Info screen on the dash colour on all spec? Only the MMI screen monochrome on the standard spec? Is that right?

Yes you are right with this info.

Anymore 4 anymore.

I'm sure I get an e-mail soon asking what spec I want for my replacment car.

:biglaugh:

B6Andy101
29-05-2008, 09:13 PM
DIS is monochome on Standard models but colour on SE & S-Line

_steve
30-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Hi MJB - i've spent hour pouring over options for my A4 S Line, and is suppose everyone has their own needs and personal preferences - i loved the silver stitched leather/alcantara option, but with kids in the car i needed to upgrade to milano leather, which doesn't have a stitching colour option, so at least i could scrub off chocolate/sweets juice stains. The kids always have tonnes of stuff with them, and the A4 doesn't have storage nets as standard on the back seats, so the storage pack was a need for us. After that it down to toys and bling :) 19" alloys were chosen after a colleague took delivery of an A3 sport model at work, which had 17" 5 star alloys, in the exact same design as the 18" S-line, and i thought they looked okay, but i wanted my £32k car to look different to a £16k A3, and went for the bigger wheels.

The sat nav is a luxury as i'm fed up of tomtom brackets breaking or wobbling, and the fuss of hiding the unit when parked up - an expensive hassle considering the cost of audi-nav vs tom-tom.

AMI and B&O because i like my tunes, and with the B&O i figured that what could your buy from a car audio shop for £525 to improve the sound in a standard A4 ? certainly not upgraded speakers, and a multi channel amp designed for the job.

Heated seats because my existing car has them and i love them in winter :)
Tyre pressure monitor because i'm lazy and dont check them manually, and with low profile tyres they need to be pancake flat before you spot a slow puncture.

Interior light pack because it looks cool, and i like the idea of door pull and vents being lit at night.

The other option i specced was because of a test drive in a BMW that had a similar system , its the advanced key, where you keep the key in your pocket, and pull the door handle to open, push a button to start and stop, and press the door handle sensor to lock, leaving the key in your pocket all the time, sounds like it doesn't offer much, but in real life its so much easier than faffing around with a bunch of keys, trying to find the ignition barrel (or slot in the dash). Not sure if the advanced key is clever enough to move mirror positions accordign to which key it detects like the A8 does - its not a biggy if it doesn't.

Servotronic was specced because the parking was heavy on the SE test drove with 17" alloys - put on 19" wheels with fat tyres and the situation wasn't going to et easier.

Dans
30-05-2008, 01:07 PM
Personally I find the likes of BiXenon and adpative light as extras that merit consideration. Being able to see better when driving at night is high on my wishlist and the difference these two offer from standard (at least on my current car) is significant.

AUDI-NUT
30-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Personally I find the likes of BiXenon and adpative light as extras that merit consideration. Being able to see better when driving at night is high on my wishlist and the difference these two offer from standard (at least on my current car) is significant.

Then you had better order the S-Line because you cannot get the Xenons as an extra.

Dans
30-05-2008, 02:00 PM
Then you had better order the S-Line because you cannot get the Xenons as an extra.

You can in DE.

AUDI-NUT
30-05-2008, 02:02 PM
You can in DE.

Then consider yourself lucky........

mkc
30-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Very lucky indeed, what was a £775 Xenon+ Pack on the SE car quickly vanished and now you need a £2.5K upgrade to the S Sline to get them.......

AUDI-NUT
30-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Very lucky indeed, what was a £775 Xenon+ Pack on the SE car quickly vanished and now you need a £2.5K upgrade to the S Sline to get them.......

Yep, I know, but I do think the £2.5k is worth it - you get the other extras aswell as the LED's etc and it will stand out amongst the other A4's for sure.

mkc
30-05-2008, 03:51 PM
I agree too that its worth it, body kit, Xenon+ pack/LED lights, half leathers sports seats with electric lumber support, 3 spoke S Line leather steering wheel, Leather gear stick surround, chrome fog light surrounds, black headlining and 18 inch wheels. plus all the S Lone badges/door plates etc

mjb-a4
04-06-2008, 11:05 PM
:beerchug:
Cheers for all the spec help.

I'm getting pressure to provide my final options list.

So! Best get too it.

belly buster
05-06-2008, 12:52 AM
As no-one has mentioned the bluetooth option yet, I would strongly recommend this - great bit of kit.

BB

mjb-a4
05-06-2008, 09:31 AM
:D Luvin the bluetooth at the mo, on my A4 '05.

:beerchug:

Dans
05-06-2008, 09:33 AM
I have taken the following;

Panoramic Roof
Navi MMI
XenonLights with LEDs
Alcantara Leather (black)
Sports Seats, heated
Audi Performance Sound System
Standheizung (not sure what this is called in English but it allows you to set the car to start heating itself up at any given time, i.e. 7am in winter when it can get bloody cold here!)
Audi Parking System Plus
10 spoke wheels
Multifunction Sports Steering Wheel
Automatic opening and closing boot
Adaptive Ligt
3 Zone Climate Comfort
Luggage Management set

mjb-a4
05-06-2008, 09:41 AM
:D What alot you've got.

Not sure if all those options are here in the UK.

:confused:

MackemMan
05-06-2008, 09:43 AM
I got a Sunderland sticker for my back window, but didn't get it from Audi.

My wife thinks it's naff, but I just had to! ;)

mjb-a4
05-06-2008, 09:49 AM
I got a Sunderland sticker for my back window, but didn't get it from Audi.

Are you allowed the to put stickers in the window, someone told me the other day that you can be 'Done' for putin your 'SatNav' in the wrong place on the windscreen!

It's all about blockin your line of sight.

Dans
05-06-2008, 10:27 AM
Are you allowed the to put stickers in the window, someone told me the other day that you can be 'Done' for putin your 'SatNav' in the wrong place on the windscreen!

It's all about blockin your line of sight.

This sounds like the sort of thing that would be banned in UK.

Dans
05-06-2008, 10:30 AM
I just checked out the configurator on the audi uk site and was quite surprised at how different the offer is from here in Germany. Alcantara leather in Germany is quite a bit cheaper than Milano leather but more expensive in the UK. Strange.

mjb-a4
05-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Alcantara leather in Germany is quite a bit cheaper than Milano leather but more expensive in the UK. Strange.

It's all down to the strength of the Euro against the pound!

No really!

Or they charge whatever they can get away with!

digigriffin
10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
As far as stickers go, my dealer said that you see a lot of new A4's with dealer stickers on the back window.

He said that there should be NO stickers on the rear window because of the heating element.

Every dealer knows this but some take no notice.

RichardCranium
10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
mine has no stickers in at all. I dont like them. Arval insist on having a no smoking sticker in the screen. The guy at Audi was just about to put one in mine when i picked it, until i told him not to bother

Red 2
13-08-2008, 08:40 PM
Well, I treated myself to a sunroof!

Interior lights inc but annoys the pants off me that Audi charge a ludicrous amount for what VW inc as standard.

I like the Hill assist (must be a old man) and am about to get I-Pod retrofitted to my non sat nav A4.

Storage pack a waste of time...can't even get a bottle of water in the underseat areas.

CD changer? I've got it but I already doubt its value now I-Pod can be retrofitted and the SD card reader is excellent.

Personally refused the sat-nav as my TomTom is heck of a lot cheaper and is cheaply updated but down to personal preference on this one.

Folding mirrors VERY useful...A4 is a wide beast!

Milano leather brilliant with toddler on board. Heated seats therefore a must in Winter.

Parking senors...YES,YES,YES! As before., this A4 is big and doesn't like tight parking spaces. Beat your Audi dealer into including them for free!

Oh and I've got those LED running lights & xenons....one of the few SEs to sneak them in. Worth it? Not sure....make up your own mind

B6Andy101
24-08-2008, 09:04 PM
Sunroof !!! Better off with an Audi Waterproof from what I have seen of ''summer" :(

Red 2
25-08-2008, 07:06 AM
Sunroof !!! Better off with an Audi Waterproof from what I have seen of ''summer" :(

Dealer supplied an umbrella!:biglaugh:

kodkod.84
25-08-2008, 09:06 AM
Dealer supplied an umbrella!:biglaugh:

Isn't there a door located umbrella holder in the B8? Or did I imagine reading about that? :D