PDA

View Full Version : Checking an A4 before purchase.

mike v
25-05-2008, 11:46 PM
Hi guys,

Over the course of the next week I will be going to look at a few Audi A4's.
I am new to the world of Audi and this will be my first.

I wondered if anyone can give me anything specific to look for when viewing them. Any tips/advice would be greatly received.

Regards Mike.

p.s. if this is in the wrong place I appologise, theres so many sections on this forum I didnt know where to post!

Turbokiisseli
26-05-2008, 10:33 AM
It depends alot on which engine and model you're looking at, but here are a few general tips:
- front suspension
- cambelt
- coolant, should be red or purple G12 or G13
- service history
- if it's an automatic check if the oil and filter have been serviced. Don't buy an automatic that's acting up when shifting or slipping because they're very expensive to repair!
- If it's a B5, check that the lower door blades are intact and that there's no rust under them
- power steering leaks are usually expensive to repair as well
- all electrics

paul b
26-05-2008, 06:59 PM
If it's a Multitronic auto, walk away, find a Tiptronic or something.

Otherwise just ensure interior electrical systems work, including the air-con.

Paul

mike v
27-05-2008, 08:28 PM
Thanks for the comments replies guys.

I have around 9k to spend so I am looking at the 2nd generation b6 model. I did find one b7 within my price range but it had 100k on it. Was an ex-Royal bank of Scotland company car. Great colour metalic grey. Just a shame about the mileage. I want to cherish my car so looking for something with 60k or less.

The search continues!

StuPDi
27-05-2008, 09:07 PM
shop around and go with "gut feeling"

there should be lots to choose from for £9k

Good luck, post up some piccies when you get your new motor :)

Stu

mike v
28-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Your right stupid,

I have still been surfing around. Theres a lot of choice. The one thing that makes it difficult is the variety of models.

More than likely looking at the 1.9 tdi or the 2.0 petrol.

A showroom near me is getting a B6 model in soon. 1.9tdi, 60k, brilliant silver, 1 owner.

Will def post some pics up. I am really looking forward to getting one and trying very hard to not just rush in and get the first 'good' one. This is one of my dream cars so I will be taking care of it for a long time hopefully!

I test drove the 1.9tdi for the first time a couple of days ago. Even though it only revs to 5.5k I must say the power band that kicks in around 2-4000 rpm is phenomenal! This particular car had 18' alloys and was lowered slightly. But it handled fantastically, I threw it into a few rounabouts and it held the road really well! It only made me want one more.

The only bad thing about the diesel is that the engine is so loud there is no point getting an exhaust to create that sporty ride!

Thanks

paul b
29-05-2008, 08:18 PM
1.9TDI or 2.0?

No comparison, the 2.0 is too sluggish. The 2.0T isn't though! Go for the TDI... ;)

Paul

mike v
30-05-2008, 12:03 AM
I used to have a 2.0 rover 800, It was a fantastic saloon and pulled very well. Dont know if anyone can comment on the difference between the two but I know the Rover weighs more.

As mentioned before I test drove the 1.9tdi earlier in the week and it pulls like a train, but for not long enough you might say. But what can you expect from a diesel,lower rev range. :p

Update: There is a dealer near me getting a silver 1.9tdi in sometime over the weekend. Hopefully I will get down there and check it out ASAP.

yamekim
30-05-2008, 08:39 PM
Also go for the SE if you can as you get a few more toys although it depends on what the original purchaser had as extras.

I just sold a B5 1.9 Tdi and i have to say was superb although i now have a B6 2.0 auto Petrol the diffrence in diesel and petrol prices now mean there is not a great deal of difference in running either of these, the Tdi went like a rocket but as you say the you have to change up a lot sooner also the auto petrol is quieter and does not require servicing as much. the cam belt on the diesel was at 64k on the 2.0 its 115k and it goes 20k between services.

Good luck with your purchase you wont regret buying an Audi I have been trough many nice motors over the years and am now an Audi convert I wont entertain anything else.

mike v
30-05-2008, 09:18 PM
I went down today to see it. Unfortunately the dealer wouldnt give me good enough money for my MINI Cooper. I had to come up with £2k, which is a shame as this one is a minter.

The quest goes on!

kurtas2006
30-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Easy to fix but check the wipers work as well.

OddLight
31-05-2008, 08:45 AM
Check climate control works.

Check all tyres are exactly the same brand and model and check amount of tread left. Check spare also.

Check original Audi glass all around. If not then inspect surrounding area for hidden damage.

I think someone else also suggested checking all electrics. I'd second that, particularly the headlight switch.

Have a good sniff inside as well. Is there a strong air freshener, and if so is it disguising anything? Check carpets for damp.

Obviously drive as many as possible before buying and most of all enjoy!

Andy

A4Ade
31-05-2008, 10:21 AM
Also go for the SE if you can as you get a few more toys although it depends on what the original purchaser had as extras.

I agree with spending some time sourcing a mode with a decent spec, although I went for the Sport over the SE. I wanted the Sport kit, with the SE "toys" (such as DIS and Cruise) and having failed to find a car with both, decided it would be much easier retrofitting the latter.

brettlloyd
06-07-2008, 10:37 AM
check all smaller light fittings i.e. rear reg plate lights for year of manufacture to make sure they match up to year of manufacture on car.Also check side sills on rear doors and underneath the doors.On higher mileage cars spots of rust /paint bubbles can start to appear (a problem with mk3 and mk4 four door golfs i believe).

brettlloyd
06-07-2008, 10:45 AM
also heres another tip. dont be fooled by seeing in the advert that the air con has been 'regassed.'
any good garage mechanic , regardless of audi main dealer (definately not the best mechanics in the world.....), should be totally disconnecting your air con pipes when changing the cam belt.this is due to them being only thin aluminium and easily spilt or damaged when a garage is letting the air con unit just 'rest there' whilst changing the belt.(a process which involves removing the bumper and associated body work to do the job properly).

sbuk73
07-07-2008, 01:27 AM
Hi MikeV, so did you find yourself an A4 yet ? as I have just decided to sell mine :) ... just putting the word out.

thefreak
07-07-2008, 09:57 AM
Check the mileage is genuine. went to see a couple a few weeks ago and it's easy to check if you've got internet access. VOSA have put a website up to stick in the reg number and V5 reference number and it will give you all the details of the previous MOTs, so you can check the mileage checks out and if it failed previously and on what.
Here's the link (http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/internet/jsp/ECHID-Internet-History-Request.jsp)