PDA

View Full Version : Sharan losing revs!

MKS
28-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Help!

My Sharan is now almost 7 years old. I bought it four years ago and have just finished paying for it! I love it. It's never given a moment's trouble, untill now...

I can be driving along in 5th gear at 70 miles an hour, and suddenly the rev counter falls to zero. It happens intermittently, at varying speeds, and mostly in 4th or 5th gear (but seems unrelated to changing gear because it happens when I'm cruising along). Even more wierd is that - up to now - it seems to cut back in again (usually just when I'm beginning to panic).

Our mechanic had a look and thought he'd fixed the problem. But it happened again yesterday. I'm obviously concerned it could be dangerous if the engine stalls and I lose the power steering before I can get to the side of the road.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the cause and was it expensive to put right?

Grateful for any input!

MKS

stuart
28-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Help!

My Sharan is now almost 7 years old. I bought it four years ago and have just finished paying for it! I love it. It's never given a moment's trouble, untill now...

I can be driving along in 5th gear at 70 miles an hour, and suddenly the rev counter falls to zero. It happens intermittently, at varying speeds, and mostly in 4th or 5th gear (but seems unrelated to changing gear because it happens when I'm cruising along). Even more wierd is that - up to now - it seems to cut back in again (usually just when I'm beginning to panic).

Our mechanic had a look and thought he'd fixed the problem. But it happened again yesterday. I'm obviously concerned it could be dangerous if the engine stalls and I lose the power steering before I can get to the side of the road.

Has anyone had a similar problem? If so, what was the cause and was it expensive to put right?

Grateful for any input!

MKS

Hi MKS

First of all, thank you for joining the site :)

Very strange problem you have, If you can give me a little more information, I will speak to my Friend who is a Volkswagen technicion, and see what he can come up with. I can do this on Wednesday, as he is on holiday until then, if that's OK?

If you could let me know: What engine type is in your vehicle, petrol/diesel? engine code if you have available, and what your mechanic has alredy done to the vehicle? I can then ask the question for you.

Thanks

Stuart

MKS
28-03-2005, 11:12 PM
That would be great Stuart, thanks.

It's a petrol engine. As for the rest - let me ask our mechanic and get back to you tomorrow!

M

bradsdude
27-01-2007, 01:44 PM
I realise this thread was started some time ago but we are having the exact same problem with our Sharan. Petrol 97, it simply dies whilst driving along, every single journey. You simply have to wait 5-10 minutes then it re-starts. It can be very dangerous as you never know when it will happen. Do you know the outcome from the previous post please?

Thanks

BrianR
31-07-2007, 12:03 AM
I had this problem on my 97 TDI a few years back. Still drove it to Blackpool and back but couldn't get above 40mph! Problem was easily fixed with some sort of engine regulator electronic component replacement - my local independent repairer did it: less than 1hr job but part from VW was about £200!

cbrpaul
31-07-2007, 09:01 PM
My immediate thoughts are MAF , but without seeing it , its difficult , also relay 109 can cause all sorts of problems ,

Taking it in to someone is the right thing to do though , ;)

let us know the answer :beerchug:

andy e
31-07-2007, 10:09 PM
lots of threads on 1.9tdiforum regarding relay 109,a piece of advice is to change it for the new grey 109 relay just ordered mine from vw cost £13. if this relay goes sometimes it will cook the main ecu then loadsa dosh forvw

Woodenhorse
28-12-2009, 04:14 PM
I had this on my Sharan petrol 2.0 auto - engine revs dropped/ engine cut out.
Here is the news you've been waiting for;

Problem solved - distributor replaced showed further problem of Engine speed sensor. This replaced hey presto. I would start with engine speed sensor as I think distributor may not have needed replacing:biglaugh::beerchug:.
Woodenhorse

Woodenhorse
28-12-2009, 04:15 PM
I realise this thread was started some time ago but we are having the exact same problem with our Sharan. Petrol 97, it simply dies whilst driving along, every single journey. You simply have to wait 5-10 minutes then it re-starts. It can be very dangerous as you never know when it will happen. Do you know the outcome from the previous post please?

Thanks

Problem solved - distributor replaced showed further problem of Engine speed sensor. This replaced hey presto. I would start with engine speed sensor.
Woodenhorse