PDA

View Full Version : Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v 2001

susanclark
25-05-2008, 05:53 PM
Hiya, am new to this type of forum and not really sure where to begin.

Own a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v 2001 with c45k on the clock. For the past 2 years the engine management light has been on the dash - got switched off at the last service but then came back on again within 48 hours but seems to cause no problem to the car's running.

HOWEVER, for the past 4 weeks, the car is a pig to start when cold. It is lumpy and kangaroos for the first 2 minutes until full power seems to be picked up. Have changed the plugs (has always been dealer serviced but this aspect never gets seen to!) but no difference here.

Dealer tells me that lamba probe and all checks carried out and that my car has water saturated wiring loom which is now breaking down. Also, piston ring degradation.

Do any other Forum members have experience of this type of problem and recommended solutions please? My dealer has apparently replaced 20 wiring looms on this basis but another local dealer hasn't replaced any!

Many thanks
Susan Clark

andyreed
21-10-2008, 10:03 AM
My engine management light also keeps coming on and keeps getting reset. I have a 2000 Fabia 1.4 16v. The last time I took it to the garage they said the piston rings are failing. I did a compression test which seemed fine (although I'm going to repeat it properly as I've learnt new things) and I'm now looking at the EGR pipe and valve.

This is the thing that mixes exhaust gas back into the engine to, amoungst other things, cut down on emissions. It can apparently get quite clogged up and the valve sticks. It's not supposed to mix in the exhaust gas at idle and if it's stuck it causes 'lumpy' idling.

I'm a bit of a novice and this info I've put together with internet research. I've also read a suggestion that the piston rings are poorly designed on the 1.4 16V engine and that is what is causing so many people to have this light come on - not sure about that.

One theme that has emerged is that this light is regularly misdiagnosed, with garages having a punt and replacing the lambda sensor or the EGR valve and the problem returning and eventually turning out to be something different. A reset light is not necessarily an indication of problem solved! I've learnt most of this at briskoda.net and am now branching out onto this forum to learn more!

paul b
21-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Hiya, am new to this type of forum and not really sure where to begin.

Own a Skoda Fabia 1.4 16v 2001 with c45k on the clock. For the past 2 years the engine management light has been on the dash - got switched off at the last service but then came back on again within 48 hours but seems to cause no problem to the car's running.

HOWEVER, for the past 4 weeks, the car is a pig to start when cold. It is lumpy and kangaroos for the first 2 minutes until full power seems to be picked up. Have changed the plugs (has always been dealer serviced but this aspect never gets seen to!) but no difference here.

Dealer tells me that lamba probe and all checks carried out and that my car has water saturated wiring loom which is now breaking down. Also, piston ring degradation.

Do any other Forum members have experience of this type of problem and recommended solutions please? My dealer has apparently replaced 20 wiring looms on this basis but another local dealer hasn't replaced any!

Many thanks
Susan Clark

The fact that the engine management light is illuminated is a give-away, there will be a fault code stored in the ECU. Have you had a diagnostic check?

This can be done at Skoda, or you could use the VAG-COM User Locations thread in the VAG-COM section of this forum to try and find someone nearby who may be willing to assist you FOC or maybe at the cost of a couple of beers. ;)

Paul

susanclark
22-10-2008, 09:32 AM
Many thanks for the advice and comments on what may be causing the problem to my car. I took it in to another local dealer and explained the problem. This dealer said a couple of things needed sorting.

A diagnostic check was carried out which found a defective EGR valve and gaskets. I also had a replacement Labda probe fitted before the CAT and finally (yes, blow the budget to pieces!:aargh4:) a new cambelt which was, apparently, on its last legs. Interestingly the dealer wouldn't let me have the car back unless I replaced the cambelt which I had hoped to do at the next service. (Having previously had car where the cambelt went in lane 4 of the M25 at 70ish mph I knew I had to have the thing replaced even though it was earlier than recommended.)

So, now it runs beautifully although the service is due and after spending what seemed like a bomb at the time, I have a ready to roll car once more.:D

Thanks once again for the invaluable help from this forum.:beerchug:

Susan