PDA

View Full Version : Few issues t4 caravelle 2.5tdi auto

cts5555
25-05-2008, 04:35 PM
Hi guys,

I bought a decent 2000 caravelle 2.5tdi auto a few months ago with an autobox failure.

I have since replaced the box with a fully reconditioned item from SY Motors in birmingham.

I am having a few issue with the gearbox and looking for some advice.
-Perfectly smooth and drives fine when cold
-When warm it will rev up before engaging top gear
-After around an hr of driving, normally only high load driving, the gearbox will slip drastically.
-Fuel consumption is not good.

Also seems to have a small issue with engine.
- Tapping sort of noise from engine area, but only noticable under full throttle at higher revs, and cant be heared with the window shut. Doesnt make a sound in neutral. Ideas?

Now obviously the gearbox is under warranty and i will be getting in touch with them, but im curious as to what can cause these symptoms. Im suspicious that poor quality ATF fluid was used, million gallons per pound garage crap. Should i try some quality ATF or some additive before making the 300mile round trip back to the garage?

Cheers

Craig

adamss24
25-05-2008, 04:48 PM
How much it costed you the gearbox ? Usually, a reconditioned gearbox means a rebuilt clutch pack -if burnt and/or a new rebuilt valve body ! Then a oil change and new strainer !

cts5555
25-05-2008, 06:30 PM
How much it costed you the gearbox ? Usually, a reconditioned gearbox means a rebuilt clutch pack -if burnt and/or a new rebuilt valve body ! Then a oil change and new strainer !

Cost £1050 all in.

Would poor quality atf fluid cause these problems? Or should i just take it back to them?

enrollercoaster
07-06-2008, 12:09 AM
QUOTE=Cost £1050 all in.

I cannot find a good exchange gearbox quote under £2000 with fitting
Was this a used unit then?

cts5555
07-06-2008, 04:18 PM
£1050 cash, fully reconditioned gearbox with 12mth warranty.

SYMotors in Birmingham.

I returned to the garage after 1 month for the scheduled service, explained a few issues. they carried out the service and replaced a solenoid, since then the gearbox has been perfect. they mentioned something about a different Fluid for the 1st 1000miles. Service cost £95.

Second service due after 6mths to maintain warranty, cost £140. Good service and fst turnaround.

Craig