PDA

View Full Version : Tow hitch self-install

wanstronian
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Hi, I have a '99 A4 Avant 2.5 TDi, and would like to fit a tow hitch.

Does anybody have any advice to give? I'm thinking specifically about any electrical issues (do any special kits need to be bought to cope with the car's bulb self-diagnostics?) but any general purchasing & fitting advice will be welcome.

Thanks

W

wanstronian
13-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Bump.

Could really do with some advice here guys, if it's available. Don't want to pay a garage to fit the hitch, but don't know how difficult it is to fit myself. Some hitches need more in the way of bumper cuts than others etc.

If anyone's done this I'd appreciate some tips!

Matt B
13-03-2007, 03:14 PM
I didn't fit the tow bar myself, I got an Autosparky company in the local town to do it. They fitted a concelled detachable tow bar (which was part of the rear crash bar, that runs inside the rear bumper - I've got the orignal crash bar in my garage) and single electrics for around £280 (I think - i'd have to check as it was a year ago) They only had to cut a very small part of the black underside trim, which you have to get on your hands and knees to see.

I used to tinker with cars when I was younger (geez I'm only 35 and I sound like i'm 55!!) but new cars and thier electrics aren't worth the agro.

I know I haven't helped but the cost isn't as much as you think, and you get the warranty too. (and the tow bar was german made too)

Matt B
13-03-2007, 03:21 PM
Forgot to add that if you go on the the Witter website (I think that is the one I have fitted) and dig deep in thier website you can find a detailed diagram of the fitting instructions including cutout size and position on the bumper.

Also it might not have been made in Germany it might be UK made....if it matters!

Try this link, it takes you to the Audi A4 tow bar info with fixed and concelled and shows the bumper cut out and an installation diagram
http://www.witter-towbars.co.uk/towbars/price_list.aspx

bora(ing) nick
13-03-2007, 03:42 PM
I bought a towbar off of ebay for £40 for my Bora.

Took about an hour and a half to fit including the electrics, but be warned, the back bumper and both the back lights had to come out on mine, but at the end of the day i there was no more than 20 bolts/screws to undo.

As said previously, you have to remove the rear impact bar to fit the tow bar, but the towbar is far sturdier than the impact bar.

The hole in the bumper is big deal....no bigger than 2" x 2" and right underneath so you'll never notice it, not even if you take the towbar off again.

The electrics were just plug and play, took the connector out of the back of the back lights, and put an "in-line" connector in. Then all i had to do was supply a seperate +12V and earth. Earthed it at the back lights, and ran a wire direct to the battery underneath the car with an in-line fuse.

Job Done.. The only special tool you'll need is hex bit to get the bumper off. oh yeah and the bumper is connected in the rear wheels arch as well, and then just slides backwards and off it pops...

By the way,, mine was a bosal swan neck towbar, not a removable 1.

Nick

jak
13-03-2007, 08:32 PM
When you buy wiring kit- go for the one with the bypass relay. this sorts out the bulb failure monitor. I fitted a towsure with double electrics to my last car 1998 a4 avant and just fitted at the weekend a Westfalia from towequipe- detachable with dedicated wiring kit & twin sockets to my present car - 2002 a4 avant pd130 sport.
If you go DIY. Count on a weekend to be on safe side although last car was easier