PDA

View Full Version : quattro??

karina
24-05-2008, 09:23 AM
hi all :1zhelp:

just a quick one...

i have now got an audi a3 1.8t quattro 1999 v reg

i am new to audi so my knowledge is miniscule!!

i was wondering, i know it's 4wd but is it permanent 4wd or on a switch or does it kick in at certain time???

i know this is probably an easy one for you...apologies

karinaxx

and32
24-05-2008, 01:39 PM
I think quattro is permanent 4 wheel drive however i am also new to audi. I wonder if u could help me i have an a3 1.8 t sport and was wondering about the oil light i dont seem to have one. when you turn the ignition on is there an oil light that comes on and when u start the engine does it go out. The only thing i have is when you turn the ignition on the computer in the middle says ok in big yellow letters

kite
24-05-2008, 02:39 PM
The A3 is Haldex 4WD, it transfers drive to the rear wheels when slip is detected on the front wheels.
In other words not "proper" quattro !

S3 beast
27-05-2008, 07:47 PM
i have a s3 quattro and the guy i bought it from said he had the haldex unit changed/converted so instead of the normal 95/5 ratio front wheel drive, mine is now 50/50, equal split front n back.
i have receipts from awesome gti for a haldex upgrade for £500, im told the difference completely changes the feel of the car on corners, i haven't driven one without this change but i do kno that my s3 is unbelievable round the twisties, maybe im biased coz its mine but honestly, WOW!

kite
27-05-2008, 08:50 PM
i have a s3 quattro and the guy i bought it from said he had the haldex unit changed/converted so instead of the normal 95/5 ratio front wheel drive, mine is now 50/50, equal split front n back.
i have receipts from awesome gti for a haldex upgrade for £500, im told the difference completely changes the feel of the car on corners, i haven't driven one without this change but i do kno that my s3 is unbelievable round the twisties, maybe im biased coz its mine but honestly, WOW!
My wife has a TT(S3 in a posh frock) with uprated Haldex controller.
The uprated controller just make the haldex react quicker, the car is front wheel drive until wheel slip is detected then drive is transfered to the back.
Read up here
http://www.ttshop.co.uk/performance.asp?cat=3063&product=600427

Space Cadet
30-05-2008, 09:28 AM
As above, the Quattro’s are proper permanent 4-wheel-drive, like a Land Rover for example.

On the A3’s and TT’s Audi use an electronic Haldex system that lets the car run in front-wheel-drive for most of the time until it detects slip and then sends the power to the rears.

In normal situations this actually works out better than permanent and will provide better fuel economy, for example on a motorway.

The standard Haldex controller isn’t the quickest of things that’s why the performance controllers are used, I’ve fitted one to my 3.2Q and it basically reacts quicker and apportions more torque/drive to the rears, it won’t be 50/50 but more likely 60/40 front/rear. This will have decreased fuel economy, but the difference in feel and confidence on the road is well worth the difference and £500 price.

JDale
30-05-2008, 10:37 AM
A bit off the subject but is it true that you shouldnt try to floor it from standstill in a Quattro? My mate has a 1.8T Quatro and he refuses to floor it from standstill, if this is true, why??:confused:

Not that im trying to race him or anything!!!:biglaugh:

Space Cadet
30-05-2008, 11:07 AM
Well that would depend whether it’s a Quattro or a Haldex 4WD (which your mate has in his 1.8T).

With proper Quattro’s/Subaru’s etc you are meant to load up the 4WD on the clutch and handbrake first and then let the handbrake down and floor it, this way it isn’t such a sudden strain on the system.

I can’t talk for my Haldex because like mentioned I’ve got the 3.2Q (with a re-map, exhaust, filter and Performance-Haldex-Controller) and it’s around 280bhp and I don’t think the clutch was up to it as standard. I normally do the above holding it on the handbrake at mid-revs and then let the car drive forward a bit and then floor it, even then 1st gear is so short the rev counter just flies around, it’s not until 2nd that I can really floor it, at which point I’m doing hyper drive, 3rd gear is mental.

The next goody for my car will be a heavy duty clutch and lightened flywheel.

So to answer your question, ideally get the car moving before flooring it, otherwise if you are feeling mean to the clutch, hold it on the clutch and handbrake first – this is the method used to extract 0-60 figures for 4WD’s.

fistfights
02-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Likin the sound of your next upgrade. Be sure and keep us up to date on what difference it makes!

britcay
03-06-2008, 10:42 PM
The A3 is Haldex 4WD, it transfers drive to the rear wheels when slip is detected on the front wheels.
In other words not "proper" quattro !
:rolleyes:

kite
04-06-2008, 07:42 AM
:rolleyes:

:p

ini
04-06-2008, 09:55 AM
I always find this site useful for a simple explanation of the various 'Quattro' systems.

http://www.awd.ee/quattro.html

Space Cadet
04-06-2008, 10:06 AM
Good site, just read it top to bottom, very interesting.

So unless you’re going off-road, with 3 wheels in the air!!, Haldex 4WD is the better of the two.

kite
04-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Haldex 4WD is the better of the two.
Thats a matter of opinion ;)

Space Cadet
04-06-2008, 12:15 PM
It was more of a question or observation from the web-site, not a statement.

I know I would prefer a proper Quattro rather than waiting for my Haldex thing to juggle the power as I put my foot down.

One thing I did hear in its defence is that Quattro’s are apparently bad for aquaplaning whereas Haldex’s are safer.