PDA

View Full Version : A6 Brake Pads

DWT
03-01-2007, 12:02 AM
About 6 months ago I bought an X reg A6. A few times recently the brake pad warning has come on but then does not reappear when I next use the car. Two questions then:
1. Is this typical behaviour when the pads are coming up for replacement and I can expect the frequency of the warning to increase OR do I have a faulty wear indicator;
2. Is pad replacement on this model a straightforward DIY job or would I need special tools making it simpler to go to an Audi franchise?
Any advice appreciated.
Dave

RickT
03-01-2007, 01:32 AM
The pad light comes on when the pad gets low and make a circuit.. then the light normally stays on...

Check the pads for life... if low... go purchase these and do your self...

Pretty simple job...

Heres a guide for the A4... its pretty much the same..

http://johnvey.com/features/a4brakes/

Cheers

RicKT

RickT
03-01-2007, 01:33 AM
also ignore the rotor part!!

RicKT

DWT
03-01-2007, 02:19 PM
Thanks Guys, I'll give it a go. My main concern was about the warning light coming on and then not appearing for a week or two.

Dave

BAK 2 BA6
03-01-2007, 02:47 PM
I have the same experience on my R reg A6 1.8T, usually happens when the steering is turned full lock, then if the ignition is turned off when you restart the light has gone, I've put it down to an electrical glitch as it happened within a month of having the pads replaced.:approve:

RickT
05-01-2007, 01:50 AM
the leads going to the brake pads have a habit of breaking free and rubbing on the disc (thats on the A4 anyway) -

Cheers

RicKT

BAK 2 BA6
05-01-2007, 10:26 AM
I've experienced this previously on a friends Clio Williams, but on this instance the wire had worn through near the hub assembly, some insulation tape was the cure.
However with the A6 it's fairly secure on the hub assembly down to the caliper so I am guessing without further investigation that the fault lies further up the wheelarch possibly where it leads into the body as it only seems to happen on full left hand lock.
When the weather breaks I'll look into it a little further.:approve:

audi_bob
19-01-2007, 02:07 PM
i am looking to replace all 4 corners for brakes soom on my 2003 A6 Avant 19tdi. i was looking for a good supplier for quality and costs if anyone has had some good disks and pads other than audi parts can you let me know.

also, have done this myselfon various other motors but was told the rears are abit tricky, anyone got experience on this?:1zhelp:

mintec
26-01-2007, 06:05 PM
This relies on good contacts in the two pin connectors from the pads. If the pads are OK but the light comes on, disconnect the connector by carefully pulling inner one off and twisting the outer one 90 degress. Clean the small pins and contacts and coat with vaseline or graphite grease and reassemble.
When fitting new pads, it is essential to clean up the connections as well.