PDA

View Full Version : T5 Suspension Knocking

AnthonyR
23-05-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi all, I have just bought myself an '04 reg LWB T5 which I love to bits. It feels quite an improvement over my older T4.

There is a knocking noise coming through from somewhere up front though. It does it whilst coasting as well as under drive and it is more noticeable on smoother roads where the road noise is less. It's like a inconsistant but constant knocking or banging noise. not especially loud but you can also feel it through the cab floor and accelerator pedal.

My local garage can't make it out but I suspect they haven't been out far anough during road tests to actually get a grip as to what I'm trying to explain. I have had them change the anti-roll bar linkages but this has made no difference.

I am starting to go mad and the more I drive it the more I'm getting used to it and the more I'm thinking I'm imagining it. But I'm sure I haven't driven anything else with suspension this noisey.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

I don't think the two are linked but also the power steering judders at walking pace type menouvers, could this be related? It feels identical to a problem my T4 had when it was leaking power steering fluid and air bubbles were at fault, but this one is topped up and isn't losing any fluid.

Many thanks Anthony.

Freshup
30-05-2008, 02:35 AM
Hi,
Is knocking road speed related in a straight line? If so, check inner CV joint, especially L/H.

ORANGE
02-06-2008, 02:28 PM
I would agree with the last post.
If its louder when you are turning its because of more stress on the cv