PDA

View Full Version : LT35 diesel timing

kettlened
23-05-2008, 05:31 PM
Hi everyone, I am new to the forum,
I need advice, I have inherited a repair on a charity LT35 Transporter 1987 2.4 Diesel. Engine code DW. The head has been removed as it is 'cracked' I have managed to located a recon head etc but now I have searched for manuals, info, forums etc to help with IP timing specs and procedures, can anyone provide a usefull link or publication that would help, or even the details direct. Thanks in advance
Tony

macka
23-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Hi, Ive just removed and replaced a head on a LT35. Not sure I recognise the engine size or code although Im not an expert. The codes have 3 letters - e.g. ANJ. I bought a pocket book called Peter Russek pocket mechanic on the LT35 was about £17 I think http://www.click2add.co.uk/index.html?target=dept_71.html good source of info.
The book only metions 2.5 TDi and 2.8 SDi engines though. we have the 2.5 TDi which is the 5 pot.
Timing the cam belt was easy enough, TDC mark on the crank pully and mark on the timing cover, its underneath though - so you only see it looking upwards. The camshaft has an offset slot in the end that lines up with the cyl head, the book talks of a camshaft setting plate, I made one out of an old gate hinge and about 30 mins of hacksawing and grinding, easy enough if you remember to put the newly reconditioned head outside while grinding ! - which I didnt and had to strip it all down again.
SO - make sure engine is at TDC with the timing marks and lock the camshaft with the setting plate - torque the head down, when you fit the camshaft sprocket - leave it loose so it can rotate on the taper and fit the cambelt using new idler, (check the water pump bearings for play - this was what caused our problem), then torque up the camshaft sprocket.
Then you need to time the Injection pump. The book shows a timing mark on the pump drive spocket and the pump - but on ours the mark on the sprocket wasnt there, in fact there is a plate sized flywheel as part of the sproacket - i still havent resolved this yet but am prety sure it needs timing by a garage using a dial gauge to get the pump just commencing injection on #1.