PDA

View Full Version : Question How long can you keep an Audi?

tyberwan
23-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi

After viewing Audi's and VW's forum, I have noticed a lot of problematic issues about these cars as compared to Japanese ones - Mazda, Honda etc. I know that we are not talking about the same category of cars here in terms of comfort, power, safety and road handling abilities, but on the long run, nobody wants to have a headache when it concerns their only means of transport.

On Japanese cars forum, I have seen on average cars with more than 200,000kms on the clock without ANY problems - not one but most of them. Apart from minor suspension, body, exterior mechanical parts, it's not common to have engine problems.

So my question is, what is in your opinion the optimum age one should keep an Audi and think of replacing it before headache starts? Personally, I had mine for 5 years without any problems whatsoever, then from the 6th year onwards, all seem to go wrong - camshaft, injector 1, injector2, brakes, window etc.

thanks

ini
23-05-2008, 08:35 PM
My Audi A4 has been the most economical & reliable car i have ever owned.

As far as the TDI's are concerned, the older VE engines and boxes are literally bullet proof, the PD engines unfortunately have a few design faults and are not quite as reliable, the verdict is still out on the common rail units.