PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Car Charger Adaptors

omegadirective
23-05-2008, 09:52 AM
:1zhelp:

I didn't have much luck in A3 threads, so:

I have a SatNav which has an ever increasingly short battery life. I'm beginning to need to charge it on longer trips to places I really don't know.

I'm in urgent need of something to fit for a long journey coming up soon, so any help would be much appreciated!

My problem is that my charger is too big to fit in the cigarette charger. It's also too long and the metal contacts don't actually fit into the socket.

Anyone know of any adaptors that would fit? I have a 2000 Audi A3 if that helps?

bora(ing) nick
23-05-2008, 11:13 AM
You could try one one the adapters from your local car spares shop as a tempory fix? That way you can try before you buy ;)

Which SAT NAV is it?

My TOM-TOM 1 charger fits into the lighter socket, like a very tight "no-fingered" glove. :D

something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-CAR-MULTI-SOCKET-CIGARETTE-SPLITTER-ADAPTER-2-IN-1_W0QQitemZ190223630316QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9895QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)...

omegadirective
23-05-2008, 11:26 AM
You could try one one the adapters from your local car spares shop as a tempory fix? That way you can try before you buy ;)

Which SAT NAV is it?

My TOM-TOM 1 charger fits into the lighter socket, like a very tight "no-fingered" glove. :D

something like this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-CAR-MULTI-SOCKET-CIGARETTE-SPLITTER-ADAPTER-2-IN-1_W0QQitemZ190223630316QQihZ009QQcategoryZ9895QQss PageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)...

I have a Navman N40i. Great little thing, but wish I'd got the bigger screen now...

That adapter looks about right, but like you say, I'd want to try one before I buy it. I'm not sure where my local car spares shop is, but I know a small private "boy-racer" shop that might sell them. I forgot it was Friday today so will have a good nosey tomorrow!

Else I will bite the bullet and order one like that from Fleabay and hope for the best! :D

If anyone has the same model of car as me and has an adapter I'd be grateful if you could let me know the details of it! ;)

Thanks Nick!

From Nick! :biglaugh:

Captain Answer
23-05-2008, 06:38 PM
Is your car an import? or the charger non standard size for the uk? You may need an ISO adapter. Or scout about ebay for a new cigarette lighter charger.

Or do the job properly, take the dash off and run power to it through one of the windscreen vents

prolfe
23-05-2008, 10:29 PM
what is the part at the other end - the opposite end to the bit you stick in the 12v thingy?

Is it a Small USB connector like some phones and cameras?

STEWY L
23-05-2008, 11:25 PM
i'm not trying to be funny,or disrespectful, but why not look at one of those things called a map?
just jot the main towns/roads down on a piece of paper and ask at the other end if you are looking for a particular street.
eg. chester-le-st,co durham-to- brownhills nr warsall.
A1south-A1/M1link at leeds,-M1south,jct 27/28,A38 derby etc. you must have done that before?
every morning i sit queing up to get through the tyne tunnel. i see the same cars time after time,day after day. they are sitting there with sat nav on.
surely they know how to get to work?
if the other end is going to be a problem,give them a ring.
why have so many people become slaves to sat nav?
sorry,i just don't see it.
regards,
stewy.

Captain Answer
24-05-2008, 06:59 PM
i'm not trying to be funny,or disrespectful, but why not look at one of those things called a map?
just jot the main towns/roads down on a piece of paper and ask at the other end if you are looking for a particular street.
eg. chester-le-st,co durham-to- brownhills nr warsall.
A1south-A1/M1link at leeds,-M1south,jct 27/28,A38 derby etc. you must have done that before?
every morning i sit queing up to get through the tyne tunnel. i see the same cars time after time,day after day. they are sitting there with sat nav on.
surely they know how to get to work?
if the other end is going to be a problem,give them a ring.
why have so many people become slaves to sat nav?
sorry,i just don't see it.
regards,
stewy.

I prefer M1- M42 and nip up towards lichfield on the A5, usually lighter traffic ;)

In answer to your question it's because people are lazy, I've got satnav on my phone but I'll only use it when I'm near the destination to find the door of the address as such

Ben
24-05-2008, 08:36 PM
going back to the original point, My brother had a lighter socket adapter which wouldn't fit in to the socket on his civic type R - took it back to honda and they replaced the socket with another one.