PDA

View Full Version : Had my car for 6 hours!

MackemMan
22-05-2008, 09:35 PM
My only experience of Audi has been the 3 years I had my A3 Sportsback 2.0 TDI DSG but my immediate judgement is:

Cons :

Interior does not seem as "exclusive" as my A3. Some of it almost seems a bit plasticky!
My A3 had a Luggage pack as part of the SE specification. This one doesn't & there is nowhere to put things (unless you have a gigantic drink). Fortunately I do not need to store any CDs (see below).
Huge great drinks holder (see previous point).
Didn't get a pouch with spare oil. No worries, I kept the one I had in my A3!
OKs

I went for the standard (ie cheap) seats. The material is OK, but nothing special.
Handbrake & Starter. They are different but cannot honestly say they improve my driving experience.
Pros

Looks every bit as good as I expected
Even the standard SE is quite low on the road - a lot lower than my wife's Golf.
Steering is different to the A3. It is much tougher, but then I thought the A3 was too light. I think I will enjoy driving this car very, very much
Comfort is excellent (after an A3 it is bound to be a big improvement). But it really does seem a big step up.

Super Pros

SD player. Great idea & no need for CDs. Have 40 CDs on shuffle!
Engine is in theory the same as my A3, but it has been worked on. You can notice the big improvement.
Lights. I do like the daytime running lights. Really cool.
Super, Super Pro

I bought the (8 gear) Multitronic & it is amazing. On the other hand it is nothing at all. You just don't realise that you are changing gears. Better even than the brilliant DSG. But then I never used the flappy padles as I thought they were just play things.

Top Gear Top Tip

Anyone thinking of buying an A4 must try out the Multitronic version - whichever engine you choose.

Hope I am even more pleased I bought this by tomorrow evening.

Will try & sort out some piccies on my Kodak & will send the film into Boots. May take a few days.

Satch
23-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Health to drive.:D

AndyE66
23-05-2008, 06:28 PM
Enjoy it!

A downside for me of the handbrake is forgetting to take the handbrake off when driving my wife's car and wondering why we're not getting anywhere fast!

JJAvant
23-05-2008, 08:41 PM
A very comprehensive review - thanks

My current B7 1.8T Avant is a multitronic. I would never go back to a manual and and currently awaiting my new B8 1.8TFSi Avant multitronic.

Do the latest multitronics have the sport option which you can manually change down to ? If so I don't know whether you have tried it yet or whether it is advisable on a brand new engine but when you do your A4 will really fly !

Look forward to seeing the photos.

MackemMan
23-05-2008, 10:52 PM
It has Sports setting & Tiptronic.

Prior to my A3 I had a Passat with Tiptronic for 6 years. I never really used it in anger. If I ever wanted extra oomph I just droped into Sports mode.

After another day with my A4 I am even more impressed by the gearbox. You cannot tell when the car changes gear. Just put your foot down & off you go. It is like having a single gear that has no limits.

I cannot believe that anyone trying Multitronic would want a manual gearbox.

Audi Nick
26-05-2008, 09:19 PM
I've gone back to a manual and am already asking myself why I ever bothered with an auto. I agree with everything that has been said about the auto, but hey a little change is good for the soul.

mjb-a4
26-05-2008, 10:59 PM
Great feedback here from the 'NEW' A4, I should of up-graded a few months back I'm locked in discussions about my replacement.

Wanted an A6 S Line but no go, so I'm hoping the A4 S Line will be OK.

But guess I will be waiting awhile.

:drive: