PDA

View Full Version : Rear Window Wipper

a3-watty
21-05-2008, 08:59 PM
the rear window wiper on my !3 is acting up !!

it wont squirt any fluid on the window but it does move you can hear the motor tring to push something out but nowt happens

when you try and then turn the wiper on it shorts out and blows the fuse i have tried blasting the hose with compressd air with no sucsess any one know wha could be up ????

:zx11:

omegadirective
22-05-2008, 09:22 AM
I have a similar problem on my A3. The hose from the washer bottle was loose. It's been reconnected twice already. My fuse didn't blow, however.

The motor on my rear wiper now needs replacing, it will wipe 3/4 of the way round and then stick, needing a further 2-3 cycles to get back to original position. Maybe your motor is on the brink of death and would need replacing too? If there's a fault on the motor or pump it may be trying to draw too much current, causing the fuse to blow.

I would try and get a new pump and hose if they aren't too expensive.

Sorry I can't be of much more help. :(

EDIT:

From VAG-Parts:

A3 rear wiper motor 97 > 2002 = £58.51 GBP

A3 Rear wiper motor repair kit = £22.25 GBP

Best I can find at a quick glance... Hope these may help.

a3-watty
22-05-2008, 11:16 AM
Chears mate you have been a bigger help than most garages they just say we will replace this this and this and if that does not work we will replace this aswell resulting in an empty wallet the problem still ocuring morethan likley and me feling like i have just been takin up the rear end lol

omegadirective
22-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Lol, I know the feeling! I had a wheel bearing go on me a few months ago and Audi tried to get me to replace the diff. I told them where to go and since having the wheel bearing fixed It's been fine...

I would think it's a pump problem, especially if you say you've cleaned out the hose! MAybe someone else on thisw site would know of a way to test it to find out for sure?

Nick.

con1981
22-05-2008, 11:41 AM
The wiper motor may not need replacing. take the wiper motor out and open the casing and make sure all parts are moving. If it's jammed the motor may be drawing the power and blowing the fuse.

a3-watty
22-05-2008, 11:45 AM
cheaz folks i will get on it at the weekend

i was going to try and strip it but dint want to rip the tail gate cover off is it hard ???:confused:

omegadirective
22-05-2008, 11:54 AM
You know I've been trying to get it off for a while now (without a manual so been reluctant to use any force) and it's hard bloody work. I have two visible screws holding my tailgate cover in place and once they are out I just can't seem to get enough leverage to get the casing off.

I'll consult my Haynes manual tonight and see what it says. I have it back now! :biglaugh:

a3-watty
22-05-2008, 12:05 PM
yea iv saw the screws and removed them same i dont want to go ripping it apart lol

i managed to remove the door cards no prob u have got to lift them up to take them off once th screws are out course lol

i assume the tail gate has the same pricaples

will try and tell u if i need a new cover or motor lol:p

S2AVANT
25-05-2008, 05:00 PM
The clips on the tailgate trim are metal, they are hard to get off but they do just pull off. Make sure you take the two screws out first.
Check your lock isn't loose as that is th reason I had to get mine off, might aswell have a look while you are in there. ;)

a3-watty
25-05-2008, 10:46 PM
chearz mate managed to get it off ths morning tho !

the motor is fine but the spray has rusted shut lol

so just going to ignore it for the time being lol

paddy737
09-06-2008, 09:48 PM
Have similar problem with my rear wiper wash. My motor and assembly wasnt working either but i took it apart, cleaned all moving parts and then on the motor itself i rubbed the commutator(part that the brushes touch) with very fine sandpaper. Motor is working fine now, but washer nozzle is still blocked. Tryed blowing it out from either end with compressed air but no luck. Same motor and assembly is on mk4 golf, i might get a whole new one from a breaker

a3-watty
09-06-2008, 10:15 PM
i found out that it is a fla in the motor the rubber seals leak and u seaze up u can buy th replacement parts online from audi a whole new motor is not required

but its a tricky job so might be worth just replaceing