PDA

View Full Version : Golf Mk4 2002 water leak

kevrev
02-01-2007, 04:53 PM
Can any one help with a recently developed water leak in my wifes MK4 golf. She has had the car from new and up until a month ago it had been as dry as a bone. However recent heavy rain has resulted in the rear drivers side footwell ending up like a swimming pool!
There is no sunroof, and despite a recent service, where the pollen filter was replaced, the garage assure us it has been reseated correctly after I asked them to check it had been fitted correctly.
I have noticed there appears to be slight water ingress at the bottom of the drivers door but given the amount of water in the car, I cannot believe that much water is getting in at this point.(its a slight weep by one of the black caps in the bottom of the door)
Has anyone any other ideas?

Boardboy
04-01-2007, 04:40 PM
I'm not sure if a MKIV has a plastic membrane behind the door trim, but that was always a favourite on earlier Golfs. The plastic becomes brittle with age and cracks or if you've had anything changed inside the door. i.e. new glass or lock mech . The plastic may have come un stuck.
Hope this is some help.
Boardboy

Eshrules
04-01-2007, 07:19 PM
i have heard something about the 'drain holes' becoming blocked on the golfs,

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1818&highlight=leak

take a look :drive:

RickT
05-01-2007, 12:08 AM
yeah or... check behind the plastic trim on the passegner side just under the wipers under the bonnet and see if you drainage theres is blocked...

On the A4 it gets blocked with dirt over time and leaks into the P/footwell.

RicKT