PDA

View Full Version : Passat cutting out whilst driving - Dangerous!!!

Moog
21-05-2008, 04:22 PM
Hi all,

Been having a few problems with the 1999 Passat 1.8 20V non-turbo that is my wife's car. We recently had the intake manifold air flow switch (rotating cylinder thingy) replaced (at a cost of £480) as the car was cutting out when the accelerator was released when approaching junctions, roundabouts etc. All seemed to be fine for a few weeks. During which time I replaced the front discs and pads.

However, the other day I was driving the car home from work when there were three loud beeps on the instrument display and the message "STOP! Brake Fault" appeared. The ABS light and the red warning light were also lit up at this point. Then the engine just cut out. I pulled over and switched the ignition off. I then turned the key again (a few seconds later) and the engine fired up and there wer no problems on the remainder of my journey.

This also happened to my wife whilst she was driving a few days ago.
I have been trawling the internet for a few days now and my suspicion is that the electronic part of the ABS module may be knackered.

My question is: would this cause the engine to cut out? Or cuold there be something else wrong with the car....?:confused: