PDA

View Full Version : best way to clean??

StuPDi
21-05-2008, 04:04 PM
not talking about showclass polishing, just usual frequent washing.

this is what i do
1. rinse with cold water and jetspray to relieve dirt and road grime
2. wash with sponge, bucket of seriously hot water and meguires gold
3. rinse with jetspray
4. apply megs gold to sponge and work in circular motion "shampooing" whole car
5. rinse with jetspray
6. work shampoo into panel at a time and rinse each one
7. wash wheels with different sponge
8. rinse whole car thoroughly
9. dry with meguirs thingy mat
10. polish glass inside and out
11. buff paint with terry towel

if i can be bothered, each panel gets claybarred, dried and polished with megs.

is there a better way?????
seems i putting a lot of effort in and just think i'm making hard work of it.

full day cleaning takes me about 5-6 hours :aargh4:

Stu

Dangerousmouse
21-05-2008, 07:20 PM
not talking about showclass polishing, just usual frequent washing.

this is what i do
1. rinse with cold water and jetspray to relieve dirt and road grime
2. wash with sponge, bucket of seriously hot water and meguires gold
3. rinse with jetspray
4. apply megs gold to sponge and work in circular motion "shampooing" whole car
5. rinse with jetspray
6. work shampoo into panel at a time and rinse each one
7. wash wheels with different sponge
8. rinse whole car thoroughly
9. dry with meguirs thingy mat
10. polish glass inside and out
11. buff paint with terry towel

if i can be bothered, each panel gets claybarred, dried and polished with megs.

is there a better way?????
seems i putting a lot of effort in and just think i'm making hard work of it.

full day cleaning takes me about 5-6 hours :aargh4:

Stu

um, yeah. drop the sponge(s) and replace with washmitt(s).

also recommend using 2 buckets while washing the car. one with the clean soapy water, and one just water. rinse the mitt in the water after washing each panel, then it is always clean when starting the next ;)

claybar only really needs doing every 6 months (with average driving etc...) and the car will ALWAYS need to be waxed after claybar.

this is what i do;
wash every week then use quick detailer, unless it is a wax week :D
wheels off, fully cleaned, polished and sealed. arches washed every month
wax every 2 months (one layer per week for the first 3 weeks)
claybar every 6 months
polish after claybar. shouldnt really need doing that often to be honest.
glass polish as and when required

i think shampooing/washing the car 3 times seems a bit excessive. i spray with a tfr, leave for 5 mins, rinse off. wash (2 bucket method), rinse off. towel dry, polish/wax/QD. a weekly wash, hoover and wipe out inside will take me under an hour.

shane9new
08-06-2008, 08:17 AM
I am new to this and am struggling with all the abbreviations for everything on here, what is tfr please?

Col
08-06-2008, 10:52 AM
TFR = traffic film remover.

It is a very poweful detergant and should only ever be used if you are re-waxing in the same session.

shane9new
08-06-2008, 12:57 PM
Cheers for that mate there are so many abbreviations to try and figure out.

Mike McKinstry
11-06-2008, 11:25 PM
When rinsing "GOLD" make sure you are not pressure or spraying but water should be allowed to flow over the body and you will see asheeting effect which will help drying process.Also what about some paint cleaner after claying before polishing and waxing.
I have just washed,clayed,cleansed, polished and waxed the wifes 130PD!!.

Dougster
12-06-2008, 01:17 AM
Dodo Juice Lime Prime Mike.

Mike McKinstry
13-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Any good?What does this do?

Dougster
13-06-2008, 10:53 PM
It's a pre-wax cleanser formulated to clean, polish and prepare the paint surface before resealing and applying wax.

fraser33
15-06-2008, 06:59 PM
TFR = traffic film remover.

It is a very poweful detergant and should only ever be used if you are re-waxing in the same session.

Can you recommend a good TFR please? My local auto accessory shop could only offer me tar remover, not exactly what I was after!

The problem I've got is in every square foot of bodywork, there are maybe half a dozen tiny dots of what feels like cement, and is almost impossible to remove, other than scraping with your nail. I'm reluctant to do this over the whole car, so am pretty much leaving as is just now till I can get a suitable product. The marks are smaller than a pinhead, but are definitely tangible when you run your hand over the bodywork.

There are a couple of large construction sites within a few hundred yards of where I have to park, so I'm thinking it may be some sort of airborne contaminant from these. I don't remember the car feeling rough when I viewed and bought it a couple of months ago, but can't be sure. The problem, seems to cover both horizontal and vertical panels.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers

Fraser

Dougster
15-06-2008, 08:49 PM
Fraser where are you based?

I have a gallon of TFR I could possibly give you a sample of.

Also have you tried to clay bar the affected areas?

fraser33
15-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Fraser where are you based?

I have a gallon of TFR I could possibly give you a sample of.

Also have you tried to clay bar the affected areas?

Hi Dougster,

Not tried claybarring. To be honest, until joining this forum, I'd never even heard of the stuff. My recently-acquired Passat is the first car which has been worth any sort of concerted effort!

I'm based in Glasgow, but I'm sure I could get something either on-line or here, after a bit of hunting. A recommended manufacturer - so I can ask for it, or do a google search - would be ideal. Thanks for the kind offer though.

Cheers

Fraser

Dougster
15-06-2008, 09:30 PM
I will need to look at the make of my TFR but got it from Dave who runs carwashnwax.

Google that and Chemical Guys

And Dave and I are both in Glasgow.

fraser33
16-06-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the names. I googled and found the chemicalguysuk site very helpful. Reading about the various products makes me think claybar is maybe the first port of call:

"WHAT WILL THIS CLAY BAR DO?
Clay pulls out all the things you can not see, but you can defiantly feel, like industrial fallout, rail dust, and brake dust. Though they are not visible, they feel rough or gritty and may cause patches of paint to appear dull, even after waxing. "

It would still be helpful though if you could post the make of TFR you use.

Thanks again.

F

Dougster
16-06-2008, 01:09 PM
Valet Pro (http://www.valetpro.co.uk/Products/TFR+and+Shampoo/Power+TFR+Concentrate)

They do some cracking products and well worth a look.

fraser33
17-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Yip, seems to be so. I never realised there was so much to this ''cleaning' lark - I usually just wash'n'go!

I'll have a scour through their range and may get beck to you asking for some more advice.

Cheers

F

Dougster
17-06-2008, 10:53 AM
I know what you mean Fraser, but you will be amazed at what you can achieve with good preparation.

If you ever think you need your car machine polished to correct the paintwork give me a shout.

Eshrules
17-06-2008, 12:10 PM
cleanyourcar.co.uk is run by a friend... if you tell him i sent you, i'm sure he'll organise a small discount for your purchase ;)

StuPDi
17-06-2008, 01:24 PM
this reminds me of about 15years ago, a mate of mine bought a nearly new 405 sri in silver and spent hours looking after it.

i sunny saturday afternoon (when the FA cup final was on) he decided to let his wife wash the car.

having found a rather stubborn bit of birdpoop on the front wing, then set about cleaning the car with a brillo pad!!!! stripped the paint from the front wing and some of the car before he got out to see "how she was doing!!!"

never again was she allowed to touch the car :lol:

Stu

fraser33
18-06-2008, 09:02 AM
Thanks for the offers and tips guys, I appreciate it.

Re the brillo pad: that's gotta hurt! :Blush2:

Millerman
22-06-2008, 08:55 AM
Fraser, i've used TFR for years, some peeps also call it "truck wash" i've only ever purchased it through the trade fella as i use it every day in my line of work, not sure you can just walk into a store and buy the stuff.:confused:
If the paintwork has airborn contaminents also known as "fallout" then clay would really be the way to go. IF it is cement that has adhered to the paintwork then you MAY be looking at a more drastic measure to eliminate, poss wet & dry;)