PDA

View Full Version : Air bag light and...

ma6783
02-01-2007, 01:59 PM
hey guyz...!!
Audi a4 1998....
My air bag light on the speedometer is constantly on...is that normal....???
also when i start my car..the inspec service light just under the mileage always flashes..>??? And i have just got in serviced like 2 weeks ago......any1 help..??

Thanx
Mo

auiron
02-01-2007, 02:06 PM
hey guyz...!!
Audi a4 1998....
also when i start my car..the inspec service light just under the mileage always flashes..>??? And i have just got in serviced like 2 weeks ago......any1 help..??

Thanx
Mo

Hi, somewhere on this site is a very interesting thread on air bag light not coming on. If I spot it, will post a link. Good luck

ma6783
02-01-2007, 02:11 PM
ok.....thanx for ur help....((will be waiting..haha))
Mo

aidanjaye
02-01-2007, 05:54 PM
My airbag light was also staying on. Audi checked it and found that a new board was needed - 850 quid plus fitting!!!! Hope your prob is cheaper to fix. Point of note - if airbag light is on then believe all airbag are disengaged...

RickT
02-01-2007, 06:09 PM
looks like a sensors failed if you have not hit anything!!

I dont normally say this but your Audi dealer may be a good option,, or a local specalist...

The problem is if you have "God forbid" a smash with the warning light on, i am led to belelive that the AIRBAGS are all disabled due to a fault so they wont be deployed... so your playing with life / lives there...

Get it booked in some where or if you can do it yourself and are 100% go for it,,

Cheers

RickT

Teutonic_Tamer
02-01-2007, 07:59 PM
hey guyz...!!
Audi a4 1998....

No, it is not normal for your airbag light to be on all the while. When you first turn on your ignition, it should light up for three to five seconds, then go off. If it stays on, the most common cause is a stored fault code from the seat belt tensioners. This can be caused in two ways, firstly, the tensioner is actually faulty (obviously), or secondly, and more commonly, the electrcal connector under the seat has either been disconnected, or has high resistance. Get the ECU read for stored fault codes, and clear any, if the airbag light goes out, consider it sorted.

It can usually take about 2 weeks or about 500 miles to recalibrate.

ma6783
03-01-2007, 11:09 PM
ok...thanx guyz...will hopefully get it checked out asap..........and what about the service inspection light,....>>???
why does that keep flashing...i gt it serviced, its bin not even 2weeks....

thanx again
Mo

auiron
03-01-2007, 11:42 PM
ok...thanx guyz...will hopefully get it checked out asap..........and what about the service inspection light,....>>???

thanx again
Mo

Hi, If you go into an Audi dealer, demand to speak to one of the technicians as front room office staff vary between good and hopeless, dare I say it, the latter is too often the case.
The only time Audis failed to reset a service light was when I collected the car on a Saturday.

T-Sport
03-01-2007, 11:51 PM

thanx again

Mo

Did you get the car serviced by an independant garage rather than Audi ?? If independant i would suspect the garage doesnt have or use VAG-COM which should have been used to reset your service light ...

mikecmr
04-01-2007, 12:26 AM
this is a very common fault on a4/s4's if you have vag-com plug it in and should tell you which sensor has gone, mine has gone in the passenger seat, going to check sensor etc over next few weeks will report back

madanglian
03-07-2010, 01:19 PM
Hi, just a quick question, if VAG-COM reports that the fault is on the passenger side, does it actually mean passenger side (ie left-hand when facing the front of the car) or are things reversed with UK cars being RHD?

madanglian
03-07-2010, 05:21 PM
Passenger = LHS when facing forwards.
My airbag connector needed a couple of goes to fix it .......

archerj
03-07-2010, 10:06 PM
The airbag light is always on on mine as well. No fault codes are stored for it. It was on when i bought the car and was on when audi had it in for a full service and cam belt change. Interestingly i have just checked the maintenance list that they go through and checking airbags isn't on it. I guess if it doesn't throw up a fault code they don't investigate. This could also be because having the airbags checked and renewed is a 'service' in it's own right. Albeit a 14 year one!

My audi owners manual has a guide to resetting the service light in it yourself. Page 74 'Service Indicator'. My car is the facelift 99 model, but maybe its the same proceedure for yours. Have a look.

Regards

Ian

madanglian
04-07-2010, 01:34 PM
That sounds like it needs a whole new thread of its own!

Those service lights which come on in place of the trip indicator when the car is started, can be reset by a combination of pulling one knob out and then the pushing the other one in (ooh matron :D).
The airbag light on mine can only be reset using VAG-COM.