PDA

View Full Version : T4 Transporter Brake Warning Light

vwbadger
20-05-2008, 07:35 PM
I have a 2002 T4 2.5TDI and the brake wear indicator warning light comes on intermittently, especially during or just after wet weather. I have checked the brake pads and there is plenty of thickness left on them and the local garage has also had a look with no success.

Has anyone else had this problem / know how to solve it?

Thanks

Brian Considine
21-05-2008, 01:13 PM
My 2000 T4 had this problem & it was eventually traced to one of the pad wear indicator cables intermittantly shorting to the strut - as this problem seems worse when the road it wet I'm certain that this is the problem - just check the insulation on the wiring in the wheel arch areas.

carbon
21-05-2008, 08:44 PM
This sounds a little strange as the warning light comes on when there is a break in the circuit, usually when the pads wear or as Brian has suggested. Some of these vans have a sensor in each brake, or one front and one back(diagonally oppposite) or only one on the front.

blue250
18-06-2008, 10:49 AM
I have had this problem as well. I found it to be a corroded connector between the van wiring and the brake pad just at the front strut in my case.
New connector and self sealing electrical tape cured the problem.

vwbadger
04-08-2008, 01:17 PM
'

vwbadger
04-08-2008, 01:18 PM
I finally got around to having a look at the connector on the strut and sure enough it was the source of the problem. The light doesn't come on when the socket is shorted but does when plugged into the wire coming from the brake pad. The sensor is still continuous so it must be bad connection in the socket causing the break. However it seems pretty much impossible to clean the connectors so looks like I'll have to replace them.

Thanks for the advice.