PDA

View Full Version : passat chirp

passat 130 tdi
20-05-2008, 05:49 PM
once i lock the doors my car is making a low key chirp once every 30 seconds from near the battery compartment.i'm guessing alarm ???? - ANY IDEAS ANYONE

snapdragon
20-05-2008, 05:52 PM
There is a horn sounder next to the battery, I think it means it's internal batteries are flat and you need to buy a new unit, or chop it open and solder new ones in! Eventually it will stop working altogether.

passat 130 tdi
20-05-2008, 06:08 PM
is this like some kind of external alarm horn then , that runs off its own power source ???

what kind of battery pack does it use then ?? dealer part ? how much ? ease of changing ? cheers. :beerchug:

caldirun
20-05-2008, 08:30 PM
is this like some kind of external alarm horn then , that runs off its own power source ???

what kind of battery pack does it use then ?? dealer part ? how much ? ease of changing ? cheers. :beerchug:
I think the clue is in "chop it open", you may be buying a sounder, if you need to ask these questions!

Izalman
20-05-2008, 08:41 PM
The alarm sounder is under the battery, as mine was behaving like an a**e and going off whenever it rained I removed the alarm unit from the car altogether, just unbolts (1 x 10mm bolt) and unplugged it.

Lost auto central locking ie relocks the doors if you dont get in ala mondeo

Pulled it apart , it's glued & screwed and has a disc type cell battery in it.

You may ned to pull the main battery to access, check other leaky pollen filter / bunged up drain threads for more info

richard@thebrae
20-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Hi as you will have guessed by now their is different models of this alarm sounder depending on the year of your vehicle, or if it has already been replaced.
i had the same fault which was caused by water penetrating the unit over about 6 years and corroding the internal battery terminals. The internal batterys were half size AA and long life lithium type.
Not worth the effort replacing them as a new unit is circa £118 and about £35 fitting costs. New unit and work guaranteed for two years if done at the ********.
Its a pig of a job as the Batt. has to come out. (You will need your Radio Code).
Mine was a 2001 model and the water had penetrated either by the seals breaking down, or by condensation over the years,and not the plenum drains being choked which is a very common fault and could be the source of your prob., so also check the drain under the batt. and the brake servo while you are in there, or if someone does the job for you ,ensure they check and clean them also.
Regards Richard

passat 130 tdi
23-05-2008, 03:30 PM
reet o lads i took out the alarm sounder took about 10 minutes - 3 star studs to remove then carefully prise it open, a bit silicon is all that holds the 2 halfs together., 2 batteries inside - varta 3v lithium cr2/3 ah - i just need to source these batteries and solder them in , job done. total cost 2 batteries. :biglaugh:

richard@thebrae
23-05-2008, 04:38 PM
Well done getting it out in 10mins. but you may find sourcing the batts. quite difficult if they are the same as these. (attached Pic.)
try this link for batt. supply :-
http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_CR14335-AX.htm

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2735&stc=1&d=1211557707

Regards Richard

passat 130 tdi
23-05-2008, 04:47 PM
energizer lithium photo batteries £4-50 a pair in asda. yours is well shot like , mine was bone dry inside . lucky for me huh . thanks for the advice , gonna solder these batteries in now , see what happens.

had to leave out the rubber spacer inbetween the batteries on installing new ones not enough room to slide pcb down onto 3 pins. installed back in car after a seal of new silicone and a wrap of duck tape to keep out water/moisture.

locked doors on key fob and still heard the chirp ,chirp every 20 seconds followed by the siren going off for say 20 seconds. locked door with key - alarm still going off , turned off interior sensors , locked doors via remote this time no chirps and no alarm going off.

fixed or not i will have to wait a few days , too many false alarms and i will have a toad ai606 fitted.

ps-getting the cars main battery back in is a right barsteward , mine being a supersized heavy duty one also . apart from that removal and soldering new batts in and refitting to car took about an hour.

passat 130 tdi
23-06-2008, 12:20 PM
hi As You Will Have Guessed By Now Their Is Different Models Of This Alarm Sounder Depending On The Year Of Your Vehicle, Or If It Has Already Been Replaced.
I Had The Same Fault Which Was Caused By Water Penetrating The Unit Over About 6 Years And Corroding The Internal Battery Terminals. The Internal Batterys Were Half Size Aa And Long Life Lithium Type.
Not Worth The Effort Replacing Them As A New Unit Is Circa £118 And About £35 Fitting Costs. New Unit And Work Guaranteed For Two Years If Done At The ********.
Its A Pig Of A Job As The Batt. Has To Come Out. (you Will Need Your Radio Code).
Mine Was A 2001 Model And The Water Had Penetrated Either By The Seals Breaking Down, Or By Condensation Over The Years,and Not The Plenum Drains Being Choked Which Is A Very Common Fault And Could Be The Source Of Your Prob., So Also Check The Drain Under The Batt. And The Brake Servo While You Are In There, Or If Someone Does The Job For You ,ensure They Check And Clean Them Also.
Regards Richard
Dealers Quoted Me £20-50 For A New Siren , Where Did You Get £118 Plus £35 Fitting From Mate ?

snapdragon
23-06-2008, 01:57 PM
I bet they mean the alarm horn which is just a moped hooter.

richard@thebrae
23-06-2008, 02:43 PM
Hello, if you can get a genuine replacement part for that price, bite his hand off.
The part No. is :- JO951605A Siren.£70 + VAT.
Fit Alarm Siren £30 + VAT
Total £118.59
Dealer Cameron Volkswagon Perth Scotland
Value as per Invoice 02//02.2008.

The siren was modified around 2004 (better sealing arrangement) and should carry a yellow sticker.
My replacement was a round shape, and the origional was a pear shaped one.
Still make sure they clean the drains if they go into the plenum chamber.
The New deflector around the windscreen, is part No. :- 3B3819415EB41 and costs £10.54 + VAT.
The Little clips are part No. :- 3B0819145 and you need two at £0.49 + VAT each.
These two parts are incase you break the deflector on stripping down.
What ever you do do not use any hand tools removing or replacing the deflector or your next purchase will be a replacement windscreen.

If you do the job send me an email and I will send you the workshop instructions