PDA

View Full Version : Bora Description - Insurance query....

binkybmf
02-01-2007, 01:19 PM
Hello all

I pick up my 2001 Bora 1.9TDI Sport this saturday. So have been using the t'internet to get the best quote online.

However I have a strange oddity.

When I use the reg plate on the insurance websites, my car shows as a 1.9TD ST 130.

Which makes the premiums around £400.

But when I 'correct' that to 1.9TDI Sport 130 the premium goes over £700. I think this is because of the forst being group 8 and the latter group 13 (I may be very wrong on this but its a fair estimate to make).

Therefore if I go with the first, just using my reg plate, could I fall foul of the insurance company in case of a claim?

Any ideas?

Cheers

BinkY

Eshrules
02-01-2007, 05:51 PM
first of all, just a bit of info i found

1.9 TDI ST (130ps) 4d (http://parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data-detail.aspx?deriv=21681) Insurance group 8
1.9 TDI Sport (130ps) 4d (http://parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data-detail.aspx?deriv=21563) insurance group 9

so, imo, thw quotes you are getting i cant quite understand the differnce in premiums, as there is only one insurance group in it. secondly, if you are putting your reg plate in and the details against it are differnt from what you thought you had bought, i would say %99 certain, that the reg plate details are accurate and the details you have been given by the supplying dealer are incorrect.

if i were you, id get onto VW themseleves, they can give you the spec/engine size, all car details etc etc by the reg plate.

this, in turn, opens up another issue..... you need to go back to the supplying dealer and tell them what you have found, under the sales of goods act, the car they have sold you is greatly different from that which they described, therefore, they are in breach of that consumer act and you as a consumer, have several options available to you. if you are happy in the effective 'drop' in specification, you could ask for a partial refund to refelect the decrease in the cars value. the other extremity would be to send the car back and i am pretty sure ther isn't a great deal they could do tbh.

Grimpatt
02-01-2007, 08:16 PM
I had this problem with my Bora when I bought it. Some insurance websites showed it was a 130 bhp SE some had it down as a 110bhp SE. The only way to be certain is to look at the identification sticker in the spare wheel well. Mine is only a 90 bhp SE.
Insurance websites can be wrong - look at the sticker!

Grimpatt

RickT
03-01-2007, 01:09 AM
The REG plate database is provided by the DVLA, however this is wrong a lot of the time...

Your best off finding the correct spec and doing it that way... however i would use the reg plate as gospel if its cheaper and ring them for a quote.. and advise them on the phone what spec it is

Im sure you have already tried this... but i used this last time and got a good deal

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/motor/?Source=MS

Cheers

RicKT

binkybmf
03-01-2007, 06:23 PM
Cheers all for the many replies.

The first one from eshrules put a lump in my throat, but after checking what was fitted against the Sport Spec, I'm Happy that its a sport... Think I was too busy checking the VIN and HPI details more than the actual spec when I went to view.

On the safe side, if it isnt a Sport on the V5, then I will haggle with the dealer (non VW) as I will be paying with bankers draft :)

Also good to read so many Bora owners out there! Anyone local to Barnsley / Sheffield?

Cheers

BinkY

Paul Jay
05-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi mate

I own a 130 TDi Sport and most insurers list the car as a 115 Sport!

Build stickers, engine code (ASZ) etc etc confirm it to be 130. Sticker in boot/service schedule should state 96kw if it's a 130.

Not too far from you - Selby, formerly from Sheffield. Send reply!

Cheers

Paul

binkybmf
08-01-2007, 12:11 PM
Got the car on Saturday.

All ok. The V5 does say sport in it so all is good. :)

I cannot, and I repeat cannot believe how great a car it is.

Wish I had bought a VW years ago :))

So far I have only the few issues with it.

1. Passenger door led doesnt light up, but after reading the forum realised it isnt supposed to :)

2. The chrome has worn on the handbrake....

3. The drivers door creaks.

and thats it....

Drove it into work this morning, with the rushhours M1 it did 61.2 MPG but thats with an average speed of 50mph... lol you have to love the M1!

Looking forward to driving the wheels of it!

Cheers

BinkY