PDA

View Full Version : Experiences of the 3.0 TDI vs 2.7 TDI

Dans
20-05-2008, 12:31 PM
Hi all, I am new here, so firstly, hello, or Grüss Gott as they like to say down here in Bavaria...........yes, I am an Englishman in Audi land.

Here's my deal - I currently drive an Alfa 159 2.4 JTD as a company car but the lease is up soon and now that I have to consider accommodating a little boy and all he comes with (travel cot, buggy etc etc) I am no longer finding the Alfa, cheap and decent enough as it is, as the car to suit my needs. So, I am considering switching to an Audi A4 Avant, based on the roominess and in part also on my experience driving an A6 which I really quite enjoyed.

So here's my dilemna. Do I take a 2.7 TDI or a 3.0 TDI Quattro with a bit less kit? I will test drive the 3.0 on friday but the dealer doesn't have a 2.7 available so I won't be able to compare the two.

The kit I will miss out on includes the sunroof, audi sound system, adaptive light and a couple of more minor items.

I have a feeling the difference would be quite significant - remember I live in Bavaria where there are plenty of autobahns where I can go as fast as traffic allows (220km/h + is really quite normal here).

My question to the forum is does anyone have any experience of the two models and what are your thoughts?

Dans
20-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Failing any comparisons, I would be equally interested to hear your reports about the one model you have driven! I have searched the forums and found little, hence my post.

RichardCranium
20-05-2008, 08:17 PM
Go for the 3ltr. I've not driven either, but i've heard/read that the 2.7 is no where near as good

a8 tech
20-05-2008, 09:27 PM
Hi all, I am new here, so firstly, hello, or Grüss Gott as they like to say down here in Bavaria...........yes, I am an Englishman in Audi land.

Here's my deal - I currently drive an Alfa 159 2.4 JTD as a company car but the lease is up soon and now that I have to consider accommodating a little boy and all he comes with (travel cot, buggy etc etc) I am no longer finding the Alfa, cheap and decent enough as it is, as the car to suit my needs. So, I am considering switching to an Audi A4 Avant, based on the roominess and in part also on my experience driving an A6 which I really quite enjoyed.

So here's my dilemna. Do I take a 2.7 TDI or a 3.0 TDI Quattro with a bit less kit? I will test drive the 3.0 on friday but the dealer doesn't have a 2.7 available so I won't be able to compare the two.

The kit I will miss out on includes the sunroof, audi sound system, adaptive light and a couple of more minor items.

I have a feeling the difference would be quite significant - remember I live in Bavaria where there are plenty of autobahns where I can go as fast as traffic allows (220km/h + is really quite normal here).

My question to the forum is does anyone have any experience of the two models and what are your thoughts?go for the 2,7tdi full spec and if your not happy with the turbo kick then remap it:D

psiron
20-05-2008, 09:34 PM
I would have the 3.0 as everyime I saw the 2.7 Id be wishing I had the 4wd 3.0 power.

2.7 is more refined I think, the 3.0 is a beast.

a8 tech
20-05-2008, 09:38 PM
i agree but a good remap makes all equal

HighwayTG
20-05-2008, 10:46 PM
Car magazine recommends the 2.7 over the 3.0 litre ...

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/Audi-A4-30-TDI-SE-Quattro-car-review/?content-block=2

browellm
21-05-2008, 02:31 PM
There's a useful comparative review here as well:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/road_tests/index.htm?id=295&

2.7 coming out on top.

Foringo
21-05-2008, 06:58 PM
I've had my 2.7 for about three weeks now (one of which I was away on holiday:() and all I can say is that it has exceeded my expectations. It is very quite and smooth and the Multitronic transmission is seamless. I previously had a 6-speed auto which was good but you could still detect the changes but this CVT is great...I’d never want to go back to standard manual box or a conventional auto. I considered the 3.0 Quattro but the power of the 2.7 is more than enough for my needs and gives an instant surge of power when you want it. In everyday driving I don’t think that I would notice the extra traction benefits or the additional power. This version is very much my preferred choice but everybody has a different view on things…so you just need to weigh up the pros & cons of each. Press generally does give it a good write up.

Dans
26-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Thanks for all contributions. I have read the suggested reviews and Foringo's comments about his 2.7 and decided that I will go with this model as I will get more kit in on the allowed lease rate and suspect that I will also not reap the benefits of the 4WD and extra power to justify missing out on said extra kit.

The offer from the dealer is in - 43k eur :bigeyes2: - for a pretty close to fully spec'd lava gray 2.7 multitronic avant ambiente). Look forward to hearing the lease company's offer now and all being well hoping to order soon for an August delivery (just in time for a grand tour down to Tuscany and back up through French Alps and CH :D).

browellm
26-05-2008, 01:43 PM
Nice choice, but do you really want the sunroof? It's pretty expensive and you could upgrade to the B&O system and have change left over instead.

Dans
26-05-2008, 01:57 PM
It's the solar roof (as it's known here in DE), it's the double sunroof if you like. I think I want the sunroof yes. I have a Bose system currently and although I like it I don't feel like it's the most important. I like the idea of being able to feel that I am almost in a soft top on hot summer days (we have better weather than you ;)) and when driving through the Alps in August I think this is worth having.

browellm
26-05-2008, 02:02 PM
OK, I didn't realise a panoramic roof was available. I bet that is really nice.

Dans
29-05-2008, 09:38 AM
Well in the end I test drove another A6, but with the 2.7 TDI multitronic, the aim being to determine whether I actually could live with an automatic having always been a fan of manuals before. I loved it! I am obviously starting to act my age and the minimal effort factor appeals more and more ;)

I did also check out an A4 avant in a show room and was very impressed - ok, it had Valcona seats which I can't get into the lease rate with all the extras I want, but generally it was as impressive an interior as I have seen on this class of car. Compared to Mercs and BMWs I think Audi wins in this area hands down.

So the car is signed off, just needs to be ordered and fingers crossed I will have it in August.

For those interested, or simply to allow me to brag, here's the spec:

2.7 TDI Multitronic Lava Gray Avant Ambiente
Extras:
Panoramic Roof
Navi MMI +
Xenon
Alcantara Leather (black)
Sports Seats, heated
Audi Performance Sound System
Standheizung (not sure what this is called in English but it allows you to set the car to start heating itself up at any given time, i.e. 7am in winter when it can get bloody cold here!)
Audi Parking System Plus
10 spoke wheels
Multifunction Sports Steering Wheel
Automatic opening and closing boot
Adaptive Ligt
3 Zone Climate Comfort

and a few more little things!

I am really looking forward to this wagon, especially for a 2k km jaunt through Bavaria, Austria, Italy, France and CH later this summer.

Arriverderci Alfa!

kkwan18
09-06-2008, 09:07 PM
i go for the 3.0TDi it handles better in the wet and dry weather, it also a lot power , and sounds alot better too...

a8 tech
09-06-2008, 09:49 PM
Good choice and what a fantastic car.
Hope you like it as i think there a pleasure to drive and a true audi at its best.

Dans
14-10-2008, 12:57 PM
So I get to pick up from Ingolstadt on Oct 27. The actual order date on the order confirmation is June 17th! I am a little disappointed that I have had to wait so long - 18 weeks in total. Some here suggest it has more to do with dealer allocations than anything else, but I guess I'll never know. Hoping that it was in fact due to "perfecting" the multitronic which seems to cause some owners problems......

Anyway, I'll take my camera along a take some pics of the factory and the wagon too of course and post them up on my return.

Meanwhile, only another 312 hours to wait, or 13 sleeps as my young nephew would say ;)

Oh, and I went for Quarz Grey in the end. Lava looked too "black".

daycartes
01-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Hi Dans,
Just wondering what you have thought about your choice. Ive just completed 90000 in my 2.7 and it still drives like new