PDA

View Full Version : 1.8 T 'Big Turbo' questions

thiscocks
01-01-2007, 06:43 PM
Hi,

I was thinking of tuning the VAG 1.8t 150 in an octavia 4x4 (2000) and going for the big turbo conversion offered by several companies. One company I have delt with before and are v good (thedervdoctor.co.uk) uses a modified K04 turbo with intercooler ect.. They say they can get 270-290bhp with this conversion.

Just wondered if anyone else has done a similar conversion on this engine (and possibly same car)? I have reservations about engine internals and the origonal weak water-pump. The even bigger(360-400bhp!:( ) conversion needs new crank/pistons ect.. so I would be tempted to upgrade the crank bearings and con-rods. Anyone know of any good parts to use?

Plus can the transmission take this power? I would upgrade the clutch (dont know the best one to go for?). neuspeed seems to offer good parts.

Any information appriciated,

Tim H :approve:

P.s. If my car was FWD I wouldnt consider putting 290bhp through the wheels!

devonutopia
02-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Contact www.jabbasport.co.uk

They do IHI turbo upgrades, which nets you around 350bhp with a mild remap, and up to 400+ with serious internal works. I think someone with a 1.8T octavia vRS is pushing 350bhp with just the turbo and some other bits like intercooler and uprated exhaust/intake/filter. No alterations to the internals of the engine itself.

SkodiRS
03-01-2007, 10:37 AM
Contact www.jabbasport.co.uk (http://www.jabbasport.co.uk)

They do IHI turbo upgrades, which nets you around 350bhp with a mild remap, and up to 400+ with serious internal works. I think someone with a 1.8T octavia vRS is pushing 350bhp with just the turbo and some other bits like intercooler and uprated exhaust/intake/filter. No alterations to the internals of the engine itself.

Fancy meeting you here. ;)

I had an Jabbasport IHI stage3 kit fitted to my Octavia RS....using the boost controller I had 280-340bhp.

Had it mapped to take into consideration the standard clutch and internals.

The main consideration is torque...if you have it mapped to it's full potential it is advisable to have an uprated clutch/flywheel AND a minimum of the the crown diff modified (basically using uprated bolts to replace the rivetts).

If you really want to push it you shoudl consider uprated rods and perhaps a 6 speed box. However this all depends on how you drive.

The standard internals and clutch can handle it all....if you're a sympathetic driver...no worries.

Cannot prasie teh guys at Jabba highly enough.....very professional job...if you were to have looked at the engine bay you wouldn't have know it was modified.

Sold car on...got an A6 2.0ltr PD S-Line now.

thiscocks
03-01-2007, 02:18 PM
cheers for info. the IHI sounds good, although alot of places use the KO4 (replacing the Ko3?- is that the standard turbo on thr 1.8t?). One place sais it uses a modified Ko4, but I suppose its horses for corses as for as turbo choice goes.

Skiodirs, you say you had a boost controller. Would like one of those with a turbo conversion, are they easy to fit/cost much?

Cheers,
Tim

devonutopia
03-01-2007, 02:46 PM
Hi Adrian! hehe!

Your's (ex) was the car I was referring to.

The standard 1.8T turbo is the K03. Some got the K03s (Leon Cupra R) K04 I'm not whether it's applied to standard 1.8Ts anywhere. Perhaps on some top of the range.

SkodiRS
03-01-2007, 03:04 PM
cheers for info. the IHI sounds good, although alot of places use the KO4 (replacing the Ko3?- is that the standard turbo on thr 1.8t?). One place sais it uses a modified Ko4, but I suppose its horses for corses as for as turbo choice goes.

Skiodirs, you say you had a boost controller. Would like one of those with a turbo conversion, are they easy to fit/cost much?

Cheers,
Tim

There are 2 versions of the K04...can't remember the designations....one isn't a direct fit and the other needs a lot of work to get any worthwhile gains.

The boost controller is one of Jabba's own products...basically there a a max and min boost maps and it varies the parameters between the 2. Has to be connected into the ECU wiring loom so i would say it's not a DIY job.

Costs approx £150 inc vat and fitting....IIRC.

Cheers.
Adrian.

SkodiRS
03-01-2007, 03:06 PM
Hi Adrian! hehe!

Your's (ex) was the car I was referring to.

The standard 1.8T turbo is the K03. Some got the K03s (Leon Cupra R) K04 I'm not whether it's applied to standard 1.8Ts anywhere. Perhaps on some top of the range.

Hi J! :D

Standard turbo on RS is K03S and for other Octavias it's the K03....don't think there's any real difference TBH.

K04 is standard on S3/TT/LCR...hence the 225bhp standard output and potentially 280bhp with a remap.