PDA

View Full Version : what IS vag com??

Jen
01-01-2007, 02:16 PM
I'm going to show my dumbness here, but I just bought my first Audi a couple of days ago- a 1999 1.6 A3- and am trying to sort out an annoying problem with loud beeping. All I can figure out is I need to find out from VAG com what the problem is, but what is it, and where is it, and how does it work- is it in the engine or do I have to hook up to something?!?!?!:confused:

lchris21
01-01-2007, 02:50 PM
Hi Jen,
I was like you a few weeks ago.
VAGCOM.......................................... wass all that about !!!!!

Now I'm a bit more clued up on it.

I'm no expert, but in basic terms, its a system of software & cables which allows plugging your laptop / computer into your car, so the car can tell you whats wrong with it !

It is ideal in situations you find yourself in now. Saves you money, by not having to shell out for a main ******* to do the same. Modern cars are loaded with gadgets & gizmos, any one of which failing can cause your car to throw a wobbly.

I'm waiting for my cable to arrive, and will be giving it a try shortly.

Do a search on here, and on the www, and you should end up on this website:
http://www.ross-tech.com/

stuart
01-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Very useful tool, have used it myself, to read fault codes etc, but PLEASE be careful! you can cause a lot of damage if you start messing with areas you are unsure about. I belive it has two sections, basic (safe) for the novice, and advanced - enter with care.

Jen
02-01-2007, 11:48 AM
Scary!
OK thanks guys if I do approach it, it will be with care!
lchris I have looked at the link you sent, but didn't I read on here somewhere that the Ross-Tech cable isn't the 'proper' one? I'm sure I read someone saying that they had one from Ebay that only read certain things or in a certain way or something, can't remember if it was the Ross-Tech one they were talking about. Plus it's in dollars, is there somewhere British you can get a cable from?

lchris21
02-01-2007, 03:54 PM
Ross-tech are the kiddies.
You can get more info locally from http://www.gendan.co.uk/

Just up the road from the "Turks" ;)

devonutopia
02-01-2007, 11:30 PM
I basically have a laptop bag in my car. I got a £30 old laptop off Ebay and installed windows XP and got the software. I also have a serial port genuine ross-tech vag com cable, which plugs into my OBD2 port. With the ignition on, this and the software reads the ECU for fault codes, and you can also do other natty things like anti-hijack, code ECUs and other stuff I've yet to really learn properly. For now, mine's a scan and clear fault code reader. Useful with the amount of VAG cars about now - I carry it in my car just in case someone else needs it too.

steve555
16-03-2008, 04:38 PM
I basically have a laptop bag in my car. I got a £30 old laptop off Ebay and installed windows XP and got the software. I also have a serial port genuine ross-tech vag com cable, which plugs into my OBD2 port. With the ignition on, this and the software reads the ECU for fault codes, and you can also do other natty things like anti-hijack, code ECUs and other stuff I've yet to really learn properly. For now, mine's a scan and clear fault code reader. Useful with the amount of VAG cars about now - I carry it in my car just in case someone else needs it too.

hi do people like halfords have this equipment- ?

steve555
16-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Ps forgot to add that the my local halford is an aa autocentre