PDA

View Full Version : T4 Transporter cooling problem

Conradvw
01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Hi folks ...
I bought this 2.4 diesel T4 last Nov last year . First sign of a problem was about a month after when the water level light came on. I topped up with water and it was ok for about a week. I kept topping up at decreasing intervals until finally i was just making it 8 miles to work and topping up to come home.
Eventually got a chance to invetigate and I found damage to the radiator. The middle of it showed signs of expansion and liquid was leaking from the bottom. Ok fine but what is the cause. It seemed there was exessive pressure in the system to cause the expansion. Possible causes then have to be a blockage like a dodgy thermostat or crud build up, or the dreaded head gasket failure.

I have renewed the radiator and thermostat but the cause still seems to be there. Instead of leaking now the pressure builds up until the resevoir cap does its pressure relief thing.

When i start the engine without the cap the level in the resovoir fills steadily until it overflows but no bubbles.

There is no water in the oil and after a wee puff when starting the exhaust is clear.

I dont mind doing the head gasket but I would hate to get there and find it was ok or warped head etc ...

What do you think ... Cheers Conrad

adamss24
01-01-2007, 01:53 PM
Failed head gasket. Have a garage check the cyl pressure with the engine hot. More than 5 bar difference difference between pistons= blown gasket. Also low reading between adjiacent cyl points to a blown gasket. When the engine gets hot will pressurise the cooling system and then something will have to go...usually rad or hoses. Dont spend money on skimming the head as they tough to start with and dont warp easy unless badly overheated. Replace with the corect gasket and you should be ok. Check for slimmy water and sludge after replacement and check the head for cracks as well. Good luck mate.