PDA

View Full Version : Question 2.5Tdi Turbo stop working

yuvalgb
17-05-2008, 10:53 PM
Hello,
I bought two months ago Audi A42.5Tdi Quattro. Really a nice car which I love and keep at remarkable shape.
Yesterday during driving, the turbo stop working and cut the engine after 1500rpm. A lot of smoke goes out, so I drive home slowly 100kmh max.

Before I buy the car, doing all the choking and even replace the turbo (before 3000km). I also know how to deal with the turbo by let it get oil at low rev at the beginning of driving, and let it cool by keep engine working 1min before stopping it.

I would like to here from you what the problem (probably replace the turbo again and what could be the cause?
Thanks,
Yuval

STEWY L
17-05-2008, 11:06 PM
hi yuval,
sorry to hear of your misfortune.
i am not an expert by any means on vag, but have general knowledge of diesels,gas engines,petrol engines etc.
may i ask, did you hear any unusual noise,perhaps a loud bang when this happened?
you are correct in allowing temperatures to equalize along the turbo shaft before switching off.
kindest regards,
stewy.

yuvalgb
17-05-2008, 11:24 PM
hi STEWY ,
Thanks for your answer, but no, i didn't heard any noise or bang before it stop working. It was after about 20 min driving and after I accelerate very fast, and stop at the next traffic light. When it pass to green, I push the gas, but nothing coming from the turbo and no whistling. also no warning lights from the computer.
Yuval

STEWY L
18-05-2008, 12:36 AM
in my mind( and it's not the best ), i'm trying to think of a fault that would cause your problem,without displaying a dash warning light,or lamp.
so, again,in my mind,it's a mechanical failure of some sort that would not
produce any unusual noise.
( as i said, i'm no expert on vag, but would think that a sensor,switch, or
throttle pot would cause a light,or lamp,or even text to show up on display).
your turbo may have "variable vanes"which have become stuck in the max
boost position after you have,as stated, accellerated hard to lights.
this is not uncommon, and i would suggest you try using the search facility
on "turbo" turbo vanes" or "low power"
i wish i was able to help you more, but i would be doing you no favours
by guessing at problems.
thier are people on here with vast knowledge.
i'm sure they will see your problem and give you your answer.
all i can do is wish you the best of luck with your problem,
and advise you to check the hoses between turbo/intercooler/inlet manifold.
you may not have heard a loud bang,or hissing noise, but it would do no harm to check.
kindest regards,
stewy.

marmate
23-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Had this poblem with mine. Had it scanned turbo overboost fault given, nothing else like MAF so I had a friend lend it for a week and thrash it and he did and now the car is fine,

It was happening a lot over a period of three weeks now touch wood it's been fine for three weeks.

I also had my fuel filter changed by a friend, easy job could do it myself now I have seen it done and it only cost me £16 for filter;

Good luck

PS: I also had no warning lights, smoke adn only once had a bang, I think it was just clogged up.